cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminating analog lines to something other than a voice gateway?

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

I have some small offices that inbound and outbound calls routed through another site but I would like the 911 calls to be sent (of course) locally.  The sites are too small to justify a voice gateway, is there a device like an ATA186 that terminateds FXO ports?

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will need some sort of analog gateway device so that it can be added/configured within route lists/route groups in CUCM for 911/9911 calls.  The common solution for this type of application is something that can  accomodate either a VIC2-2FXO or VIC2-4FXO.  Typically you're looking at a 2801 or something along those lines...not the cheapest but works and reliable.

ATA's are for phone analog phone (i.e., set) and/or fax termination.   The common solution for this type of application is something that can  accomodate either a VIC2-2FXO or VIC2-4FXO.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Nothing that I have found. There is an 800 series router available that provides an FXO port along with FXS, PoE, SRST and optional wireless but the cost is significant.

I did post a similar query a while back when I was looking at connecting my home lab to the PSTN but did not get many sensible replies. I had hoped that I could connect to something like a Linksys SPA3102 or Fritz!box using a SIP trunk but never got any confirmation this was possible. In the end I bought a cheap 1760V router off Ebay but this is unlikely to be a solution for you.

Sorry this is not much help but I will watch the responses to this thread with interest.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The sites are too small to justify a voice gateway, is there a device 
like an ATA186 that terminateds FXO ports?

I very much doubt this considering Cisco has ISRs as small as the 1900 or an 887V which are voice-capable.

Also, how are you getting enterprise WAN connectivity? If you purchased the correct ISR, the voice gateway needs could be integrated into the same chassis with only an appropriate DSP, VWIC, and software licensing.