Views
Helpful
Replies

No way out, cat and mouse problem with UC520

dgabor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've been spending some time now (many days) trying to repair a UC520 by reading all the posting here. Everything I read here did not help me at this time. As time is critical to me now i really need your help. I need to make a demo for a customer.

The unit is a UC520-8U-2BRI.

I went through a lot of problems which I have tried to repair by reading here. to be honest nothing helped me.

The idea is that, now I am with the compact flash formated. I have both 7.0.4 pack with CCA2.1 and 8.0.2 with CCA 2.2 (4).

1. First I put IOS file and default config and rebooted the unit (with both version mentioned above).

2. I connect with CCA and tried an upgrade (all), to have phone packages and everything. Instantly I get an error box: "Cannot retrieve CUE version". I read a lot about this problem but nothing helped me:

---

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 status
Service Module is Cisco Integrated-Service-Engine0/0
Service Module supports session via TTY line 2
Service Module is failed
Service Module heartbeat-reset is enabled
Service Module status is not available

UC520#sh ip int brief

--output ommited---

In0/0                      10.1.10.2       YES TFTP   up                    up

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session
Trying 10.1.10.2, 2002 ... Open

I can reach its IP Address using ping. I can connect to it. I tried also to reloaded. Nothing..the same result.

I suspect is a problem of CUE. but as i read here could not find the status above: "Service Module status is not available"

3. Before I encountered another problem, when trying to configure telephony/voice. I get a box that says: "Operation in progress/Loading Voice related data ..." and after a while a box appears that says: Error:Voice: java.lang.NullPointerException. I press ok an then the first dialog box says "Operation Completed" but i do not have any OK button. So I need to press Cancel, and so can not configure telephony.

4. I also tried Telephony Wizard. It gets stucked at 99%.

5. I even changed the Compact Flash, first i suspected it has a problem but i was not so lucky.

And now I don't know what to do anymore...

If you have any idea please share it with me . ALso if you need anyother info please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dan,

Today at work I was called out to a job where the AIM module on a 2851 was in the same state as yours, the first thought that come to my mind "Are there any windows open I can jump out of"

In total I spent about 3 hours on it to get it back alive, it all happened because of a bad shut down, the building had a bad power outage and the generators didn't kick in, for some reason the CUE didn't boot up in normal process.

I know you have a UC-500, but i am confident you can resolve your proble, I want you to try something out for me and i know you probably allready have, but just try it again for me please.

• service-module  integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session clear
  • service-module  integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reset
  • service-module  integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session

You should I hope see the CUE module go through its reset procedure, assuming that the operating system is still in tact and you do not have a fried CF card, and or a corrupt AIM module, the reset command should for it to reboot as such.

You should see a lot of chatter on the scree, follow this all the way through and if you can grab some screen shots for me and post them on here, as many as you can and if you have to zip them all up into one folder.

Lets see if we can get this to work for you, I aint giving up just yet

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dan,

Firstly DEEP breath friend

Secondly don't panic

OK lets see what we can do.

Have you done the following?

• Shut the system down by unplugging the power, counting to 10 and then plugging the power back in?
  • When you used CCA to reset the system to factory defaults (Using CCA 2.2.4) did you tick both boxes? "Reset to factory" & "Cleanup" (Not word for word I know but its hey close enough )

NOTE: The CUE does not reload if you issue the command in CME, it is a common mistake and if IP addresses have been changed on the service engine and the engine is not properly reloaded you can also run into this problem.

If both of them failed then can you try the following:

• service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reload
  • Straight after you enter that command (And i mean next line straight away) do "service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 session"
  • If it errors out or times out, do it again straight away
  • If you are let in to the service module sit back and watch it load up, do not do anything, just monitor it and see if there are any errors that show up and take note of them (Post them here if you can)

Do you have the following?

• SMARTnet on the system? This can give you access to TAC and will expedite the resolution of the issue you are facing (This is an important thing to have, i liken it to insurance or roadside assistance, one day you will kick yourself for not having it)
  • If no SMARTnet then do you have ability to provide remote access to the system and console cable access to the system?

Hope to hear back from you soon with a positive outcome (I am hoping the hard shut down and reload will fix it).

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hello David,

I started in the first palce with a deep breath...just to make sure...

No succes with the shuting down the unit and waiting for 10seconds. the upgrade gives me the same message: "Canonot retreive CUE version"

I tried now, to be sure, the part with reset to factory (i only have checkbox-es with reset to factory and reset, no Clean-Up). It does not work, as, on flash, I have only IOS image and default configuration file that comes in the UC8.0.2 package.It gives an error :" Current factory default configuration and Software Package on this device are out of sync, ..." and that I need to upgrade to the latest version of SW PAck. But when i try to do this, again, I go back to the message: "Cannot retreive CUE version".

The message with the clean-up is when going for upgrading the system choosing "All".

When choosing"service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reload" it comes to.

---

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reload
Do you want to proceed with reload?[confirm]
Trying to reload Service Module Integrated-Service-Engine0/0.

--

Trying 10.1.10.2, 2002 ... Open

--

But no message here. Then I hit enter:

--Enter runlevel:

--

The unit has no smart net, it's a demo unit.

If you need anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

If your up for it, go to (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx) and download the quick support version, run it and then go to my profile and e-mail me the ID and password.

I will look at it for you remotely and see if i can get some action with it.

If possible and you are willing to organise a remote desktop session, can you get a console cable working on it? If not it is nto a major deal just any access to it will be suitable enough.

Cheers,

David.

Unfortunately i can not set up you a remote connection.

Do you have any idea of how to overcome my UC520 problems, to do it myself?

Thank you.

Dan

Hi Dan,

If you session into the service engine again do you still get this?

--Enter runlevel:

Sometime when you log into the CUE module you need to press enter a couple of times before a prompt shows up, but the above if memory servers me right means it is about 1/4 of the way through its boot up process.

Also the CUE can take quite a long time to boot up especially after it has tried to recover itself, I think if you can see the above and you waited you would see it working through the boot up process.

So if you wanted to, you can do the reload command again on the service module and attemp another login to it, then watch it run through its boot up process, when it is complete it should display a message "System online" and you can press enter twice to get the command prompt.

If still no go, and without remote access I am not sure where to go from there, normally I have access to a machine that has similar problems and I can work my way through it, I am a hands on person especially when it comes to fault finding and trouble shooting.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks a lot David, you are too kind

After multiple searched in forum I found a topic that has exactly the same problem as mine:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3089799#3089799?tstart=0

I will try to manualy install CUE and everything. The guy in that post succeded, and it seems is the only way to do it.

I will let you know.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Good luck with the update and i wish you all the sucess with it.

Cheers,

David.

Hello ,

for some reason(s) I can not login into CUE. It just want boot or something.

I tried reloaded many times then immediately connect to it:

1.service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reload

2. immediately, service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 status

- Here nothing shows up, no message, nothing, and i waited a lot. During this time the status message was:

___

Service Module is trying to recover from reset/shutdown

___

If i hit enter, at any time, one, twice I receive:

Enter runlevel:

No CUE promt

3. After some time the status is:

__

Service Module is tailed

___

I think CUE module might be broken.

Do you have any other idea?

Tnx

Dan

Hi Dan,

I wish I had something for you but I suspect that this problem has gone beyond my ability. I would have liked to look at it first hand sometimes being able to work on the issue triggers further thoughts and processes, but I understand and appreciate that this is not possible.

If you have SMARTnet on the box then I would suggest getting TAC involved, maybe the HDD/Flash card has gone belly up, I haven't seen that happen many times but it can happen.

Alternatively you could wait and see if one of the Cisco Team Member responds with any ideas.

I really am sorry I couldn't be of any further assistance to you.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks a lot David!

This morning I opened the UC520 box, and pull out the inside CF Card (1GB) which I think is used by the CUE Services Module/AIM (no info found on this). I tried to read it with a card reader. the message was: "The drive is not formated, would you like to format it now?". I don't know the file system that is on this CF Card. Maybe someone riding this can help. But the external CF for IOS and the other file can be read (is FAT). Maybe the inside CF card might be broken. I don't know what to say...

Thanks again.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Windows will most likely not be able to read it, the CF card will be using the ext file system which is Linux based, if I am not mistaken the CUE uses Powerpc Linux which is a really small and nice linux distro.

You would be able to read it in a Linux Distro but again this serves no purpose as you can not really do anything with it.

You might have to look at other avenues for now, what they are I am not sure at this stage, I have never tried to restore a CUE CF Card before within linux, but you have now spurred an interest in me

Cheers,

David.

Hi Dan,

I have had to fix a UCME version (not the uc500, but a 2811) with a bad CUE (that I caused).  It was a time consuming process, but I was able to do it.  I don't have the document that I used anymore, but as David has suggested it could be done remotely.  I will try to find the document that I used.  I can say that it took about 3 hours to do the recovery.

Thanks!

Chris

Hello Chris,

if you find the document please share it with me .

Thanls a lot.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Were you ever able to see the boot up process when you reload/reset CUE? Can you try this-

Session into CUE-

Trying  10.1.10.2, 2002 ... Open

Then open up a separate telnet session to the router and reload/reset the CUE monitoring the other session-

UC520#service-module integrated-Service-Engine 0/0 reset/reload

I'm interested to see if anything shows up in the first telnet session you have into CUE.

-Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: