Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Presence and Microsoft OCS federation

Hi, all!

Could anybody help me with integration between Cisco Presence and Microsoft OCS (I mean federation between Cisco and Microsoft domains)?

Problem is that presence information between OCS and Cisco doesnot work; IM(Instant messaging) works but slightly strange (big delay between messaging sent and was seen, sometime it doesn't work at all and so on..)

I think may be it because i didn't configure any certificates for SIP federation. Should I use certificates and Cisco ASA for federation or federation can be done without certificates?

Thanks advance
Alex

13 Replies 13

lvanwetten
Level 1
Level 1

Reading through the document as in the link below, in which kind of configuration environment are you trying to go live ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/7_0/english/integration_notes/federation/Overview_chapter.html

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

TLS/certificate is optional for federation.

Could you let me know why you want to federation a CUPS domain and an OCS domain?

Thanks!

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Hello, Michael!

How could i do federation without certificates/ASA ?  I would do integration without any certificates with great pleasure :), but  all documents on cisco.com include certificates and ASA in configuration, like this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/7_0/english/integration_notes/federation/Overview_chapter.html#wp1054901

Federation between Cisco and Microsoft we (our company) need for two our friendly (with same businesses) clients in order they could change IMs and see status of each other. One client has Cisco environment, other has Microsoft's.

Thanks!

Alex

CUPS and OCS use SIP to do federation.

SIP can be over TCP (5060) or TLS (5061).  You have the option to configure OCS edge server to use SIP over TCP.

Cisco only listed TLS as an option because people usually want the data to be encrypted by TLS when it goes through Internet.  But for troubleshooting purpose, you may use TCP (so you have less things to troubleshoot on).  If the federation was successful with TCP, you may switch to TLS.

By the way, you might want to consider the option of XMPP federation instead of SIP.

CUPC 8.x support XMPP only (while CUPC 7.x continue to support SIP).  Microsoft has XMPP gateway for OCS (see http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2009/10/02/620.aspx).  The advantages of XMPP federation are:

1) You may federate with many other systems (such as Google Talk).

2) Technically speaking, you don't need the other party to configure anything for federation.  (unless the other party wants to reject the federation).

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot, Michael!

To be honest i tried to do integration without ASA and certificates (SIP over TCP rather than TLS) , but it failed to work. Actually it worked in the beginning but some way strange (cisco personal communicator client could see presence status of Microsoft communicator client, but other way - not.) IM worked both way. But some time later it stopped to work for what reason i can't say - i tried to fix the problem lot of times (even reinstalled presence ) - it doesn't work at all.. so i decided to do as document on cisco.com says - with ASA and TLS.. But if i could do it without those things - it would be great!

One more thing i should say - i use presence 7.0.7 on vmware esx server - can it be these kind of problems because of virtual environement for presence ?

... presence 8.x i do not have ..

"You have the option to configure OCS edge server to use SIP over TCP." - Could You please say how can i do it?

Thanks again!

Alex

I'm not an OCS expert, you might want to ask Microsoft.  I guess you might be able to specify "other" and port 5060 in the screen attached?  I haven't tested it yet.  So I might be wrong.

Michael

Thanks, Michael!

Could You please tell, have you done federation without certificates and it worked?

Alex

farzin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I suggest trying out the NextPlane Federation Server. For onething it allows domain sharg across dissimilar UCs.

NextPlane (www.nextplane.net) is the leading provider the leading provider of enterprise-class federation solutions for unified communication (UC) platforms, including Microsoft OCS 2007 R2, OCS 2007 & LCS 2005, IBM Sametime, Cisco Jabber XCP, OpenFire, and Google Apps.

--Regards,

--Farzin

Has anyone deployed OCS to OCS intergration on the same LAN? I have MAC clients using CUPC and windows clients using MOC. all I want to IM between the two and All i see is documentation to federate two seperate domains???

The problem is two UC servers can not share the same domain name.

The only solution that I know that enables federation between two UC server while allowing them to share the same domain name is the NextPlane Federation Server (www.nextplane.net).

--Farzin

jcompiano
Level 1
Level 1

We are federating CUPC with OCS and LCS within our company. We created a routing subdomain on the presence server to differentiate between the two systems. We had to enable SIP federation on OCS and presence and create static routes pointing to each other over TCP 5060. Use the latest CUPC version for the outlook plugin to enable presence in outlook. All contacts will need to be entered manually that reside on the other client as these are considered external contacts. We do have presence and can IM back and forth ok. We also have a lot of users still on LCS and there is a one way presence issue we're working on but can IM ok. The reason for this federation is to find an easier migration path to CUPC rather than a flash cut.

OCS -- Enable federation globally then on the front end server add a static route and host authorization.

CUPC -- Under cluster - settings change the domain name to be a sub domain under the parent domainie:if OCS is -- acme.com then CUPC would be cupc.cisco.com

Add the acme.com as a sip federation and add a static route to the acme.com domain as a domain route using TCP 5060 to eliminate the cert requirement.

Are you sharing the same domain name across CUPS and LCS?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: