Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-Vlan browsing problem

JudAster2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and thanks for reading my post,

I've just configured two different VLANs (plus the default one) in my 3560G switch, I can ping from any VLAN to any host in other VLANs, but I cannot see the computers, do you know why?.

I created the VLANs to isolate several computers in the networs as they are dangerous because we are using an old software and we can't update the OS, I wanted them to have access to one NAS disk and nothhing else, like this

DANGEROUS (VLAN 100) ------ NAS disk (VLAN 200) ---- Rest of the company (VLAN 155)

I've configured the VLANs but I don't know what I have to do to be able to browse the NAS disk (I'm using a laptop for testing purposes), do you have any idea?. Later, I believe that I'll have to create access lists to cut the communication between the danderous and the "rest of the company" VLAN.

Have a nice day !

Jud

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OS Firewall enabled?

Thanks leolaohoo,

The FW it's disabled

I can ping anu computer in any VLAN but I can't see them in the Windows "network places"

We don't use any Domain Controller or WINS server. I plan to add a SBS2008 soon, but until now we are using a couple of workgroups

Jud

michael.hutt
Level 1
Level 1

Jud, from what I understand, SMB (the protocol used by Windows to share files and printers) is tuned for local subnet usage, which means only computers on the same subnet should be able to see each other.  (Otherwise, how are the machines supposed to broadcast their SMB existence when the router (the 3560G) is blocking broadcasts between subnets (VLANs)? )

From that description, it seems as though SMB across multiple VLANs is impossible, but it seems to actually be possible.  The company I work at has over 50 VLANs and SMB works across them.  I think you have to have a fully built-up domain system or WINS servers, I'm not entirely sure.  I suggest googling "SMB across subnets" or "SMB across router" or something to that effect.

Check this out: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-12.html

I would read a little bit on how SMB works in order to figure out exactly how to get this to work, though.

Thank you very much, that information is very helpful !

I'll have to install a new Small Business Server 2008 soon, and probably Active Directory will solve this issue, as we'll have to use the IP helper command to provide DHCP addresses.

Jud

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card