Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - Maps

mlbayliss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I following this but how do we know what kind of maps we need to import. We have a campus with 4 buildings on it. Wireless APs are in all buildings. Do I need obtain ground plans / floor plans in electronic format that can be added to WCS. If so, what scale is recommended and can google map assist with this?

Regards,

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I found that importing the maps in PNG format offers the best defintiaion in WCS. If you have your electronic plans in DWG or similar format, play around with doing a PrtScn and dropping it into Powerpoint and doing as 'Save as picture' and save it as a PNG.

Once the mpa is in this format, I import it into WCS and then open Google Earth (the proper stand alone product) and go to the tool bar at the top of the screen and use the measurement tool there.

I find the building I want on our campus, zoom in, rotate it so it matches my drawing and then use the measurement tool to measure the external walls in metres.

Seems to work fine for me

thanks

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jlhainy
Level 2
Level 2

You can import AutoCAD maps or maps that are the usual graphic formats like .gif, .jpeg and so on.  After your Map is imported, you can use the map editor to "scale it"  What I have had to do is get a paper copy of a building map, scan it as a .jpeg, then import it into WCS and then fire up the map editor and designate how long a particular wall is or something to help create the scale.

I have not played with the Google map feature at all yet.  Also, I would suggest that after your map is imported to take the time to draw in the obsticals, such as thick walls, heavy doors, glass etc.  This will Make WCS' RF prediction more accurate.

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I found that importing the maps in PNG format offers the best defintiaion in WCS. If you have your electronic plans in DWG or similar format, play around with doing a PrtScn and dropping it into Powerpoint and doing as 'Save as picture' and save it as a PNG.

Once the mpa is in this format, I import it into WCS and then open Google Earth (the proper stand alone product) and go to the tool bar at the top of the screen and use the measurement tool there.

I find the building I want on our campus, zoom in, rotate it so it matches my drawing and then use the measurement tool to measure the external walls in metres.

Seems to work fine for me

thanks

Great idea. I appreciate everyone help on this.

I might just draw up the site similar to Google Earth and use the measurement tools.

Thanks.

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card