Views
Helpful
Replies

ZBFW and NAT

bentoncentral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am setting up a zone-based firewall and NAT for inbound public traffic to internal private IP addresses.  I am using a 2911 router with all the security bells and whistles. Do I set the destination as the public address or the private? I found a flow diagram that shows when CBAC happens, but nothing about zone-based.

Thanks.

-shawn

3 Replies 3

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So you are asking what IP address to use for out to in zone to allow inbound connections from the internet to your web, e-mail or other server on the inside?  You should use the public (translated) address of the server in the acl that you will apply in the out to in zone.

-KS

Ok I think we're on the same page. So to put it another way. The firewall inspects the traffic before the Outside to Inside NAT happens?

Shawn,

Check this link: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080133ddd.shtml

Watch the outside to inside table. You can substitue inspect CBAC with inspect ZBF.

Firewall creates session from pre-nat src to post-nat dst.

webserver (10.10.10.1)——router—internet

Let us say we are translating 10.10.10.1 to look like 1.1.1.1 on the internet and it is a webserver
In the out to in zone will have policy-map, class-map and acl
In this acl you would specify

per tcp any host 1.1.1.1 eq 80

Whe you look at the session in the table you will see

session from internet<-->10.10.10.1

-KS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: