Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 - what's using my memory?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have 2 ASA 5520's in active standby mode, they are on IOS 8.2(2) and have 512mb of memory.

For some reason the memory usage went from 70% to 85% at 4pm yesterday.  When I look back at the the changes at that time all I did was add a subnet to a rule.  I took the subnet back out of the rule today and the memory has remained the same.

Any ideas on when I can do please let me know.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is an involved process to find out exactly what process is consuming the memory.

I'd suggest opening a TAC case so we can collect "sh mem detail" a few times in 3 hours or so and then sh mem binsize <> for the size that has consumed the most memory and then decode output value and match it to a process.

Do you have threat detection enabled? This is known to consume memory.  Issue "sh run threat". To disable it copy and paste the lines with a "no" in front of it.

Then watch the mem and see if it goes down.

-KS

Hi,

The threat detection is already off.

I would like to try what you suggested but got a little lost, I have attached my 'sh mem detail', how do I do the binsize then match against a process?

Many thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card