Views
Helpful
Replies

best practice on switch ios upgrade

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Netpro,

Is there a best practice documentation for upgrading a switch IOS, we are expanding and are looking into puchasing new 3750's and 2960's. We are currently using C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5 on most of our 2960's. I'm looking at Cisco's down load site and it looks like the latest is 12.2(52)SE2. Should I go for the latest and greatest? or should I stick on the 12.2(35)SE5? Same goes to the 3750, should I go for the latest and greatest?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

JP

4 Replies 4

d_ferraro
Level 1
Level 1

We are constantly using the latest upgrades from cisco and dont have a problem. I would say read the documentation on the fixes and new features just to get an idea of what the new IOS is offering. Personally, I would go for the latest and greatest.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi JP,

It depends on the feature set you need.  If your network is running smoothly with no IOS bugs and no issues, then you may want to use what you are using today, because newer does NOT always mean better.

Do a site-by-site comparison of the 2 IOS versions, ie 12.2(35) and 12.2(52) and see if there are any specific features that you need, also look at the release notes for 12.2 (52) bug fixes and go from there...

HTH

Reza

podhillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi JP,

The best practice for IOS upgrade would be go for the second latest and please do confirm for the features you are looking for in the feature Navigator on cisco.com

Feature Navigator:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Hope this helps!

Regards,

podhillo

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm looking at Cisco's down load site and it looks like the latest is 12.2(52)SE2.

The latest is 12.2(53)SE2.

Should I go for the latest and greatest? or should I stick on the 12.2(35)SE5? Same goes to the 3750, should I go for the latest and greatest?

Whatever floats your boat.  There are some who doesn't like to but I am one who upgrades IOS whenever possible.  One of the benefits of upgrade is the introduction of new features, functions and services that the old doesn't have.  One of the cons is the risk(s) of running over new bugs.  But otherwise, in a scale of 1 to 10 (highest) in regards to my experience with constant IOS upgrade, I'd give it an 8 or 9.

I've worked with a number of organization and their view of an IOS upgrade is synonymous to devil-worship.  I realize that a significant portion of them say that because they don't know how to do IOS upgrade and how fix one if it fails.  But the rest simply don't want the risk(s) and hassle(s) if the upgrade goes wrong.

Last year, a few days after I've upgraded our switches, we got an email from IT Security requesting for information about the IOS versions we are running in relation to a Cisco Security Advisory.  I told them that we are running *blah* version and we are not affected.  They sent us a few more emails after that but decided to tone down because we have been progressively upgrading IOS.

Be careful when you do IOS upgrade.  Administration-wise, make sure you have the OK (or tacit support) from management.  In modern times, it's no longer the question of how good you are but it's a question of watch-your-back.  If you s crew up and no one is watches your back ...

If you are doing manual IOS upgrade (not scripted or automated) use "archive download-sw" command.  Try to minimize using the "archive tar /x " command if you are using 12.2(46) IOS because it will fail.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget to rate useful posts.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card