Views
Helpful
Replies

1141n multiple AP's one SSID with Radius

jbroedel009
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 1141n APs.

I have the first one configured as a root AP using the built in Radius feature (LEAP)

I also have this thing configured using AES CCM.

My clients are connecting to it with WPA2-Enterprise, getting 144Mbps. Perfect.

The question is this second AP.

How do I set it up so my users can wander semlessly between the two AP's?

Do I need to config it with the Radius feature as well?  That would be a pain

Any help would be great!

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bassono_t
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

All you need to do is configure the second AP to point to the first one IP address as its Radius serveur but bear in mind that if you do so and the primary AP fails, the second cannot authenticate users because the Radius seveur will be unvailable!

Configuring the two AP's to backup each will of course be tedious but a more resilient approach.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

bassono_t
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

All you need to do is configure the second AP to point to the first one IP address as its Radius serveur but bear in mind that if you do so and the primary AP fails, the second cannot authenticate users because the Radius seveur will be unvailable!

Configuring the two AP's to backup each will of course be tedious but a more resilient approach.

Gotcha, and the only downside to that would be by entering the radius creditials on both devices

correct?

That's it. Note that using the AP itself as a RADIUS server reduces its performance (the number of client of client devices it can serve) but that's not a big deal of you don't have that many users.

You can also dedicate an AP as a Radius in a multilple AP's environment

I cant get ap2 to talk to ap1(radius server)

My client is connecting to ap2 just fine but gets a username and password popup.

ap1 logs are showing rouge ap entries.

On ap2, do I add the ap1 ip address in the server manager settings or the Local Radius Server settings?

Got it!

AP2 had to be entered as an AAA on ap1!

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card