wireless-N with a 2106, h-reap is the answer?

Answered Question
Jun 8th, 2010
User Badges:

I'm looking to impliment wifi at my work, specifically wireless-N.  I have a cisco 2106 wlc already, which is more than adequate capacity wise as about 4 APs will cover our whole office.  I was looking to get some of the new 1260 aironets that are set for release this month.  As I understand it, my 2106 would be a serious bottleneck as it's only 100mbps and the 1260s are all gigabit, and all the traffic would be routed through the wlc.

my plan was to just plug everything into the core switch which has gigabit ports.  It seems to me that the ideal situation would be that data from the AP would be decapsulated at the AP, tagged, and handled there without having to go through the wlc.  I read about H-REAP, which everything says is meant to be used for APs across WANs, but is this essentially what it does?  It seems that h-reap just uses the wlc for authetnication and management.  Could I use H-REAP and have essentially a gigabit pipe from each AP to my network, or am I looking at this incorrectly?

Correct Answer by jhedstr2 about 7 years 1 month ago

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

To use H-REAP as you describe works fine and the traffic don’t need to go pass the WLC. The only thing is that you might need dot1q trunk with all VLANs to the access points, and some more configuration in the WLC. But otherwise H-REAP works fine and it’s not just for remote office any more.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
jbroedel009 Wed, 06/09/2010 - 12:47
User Badges:

Don't know about h-reap but cant you just run cable from you AP's to the switch like you mentioned?

Thats I what I'm doing. just tied each AP back to a few gigabit switches. This will give your N clients the the best speeds all the way through.

Or I guess you'll need a new WLC that supports <100 Mbps if you dont want to bottleneck the N speeds.

bdial Wed, 06/09/2010 - 13:36
User Badges:

yeah theres no problem with the wriring, but like you said the bottleneck will be the 100mbit limit of the 2106 wlc.

i've been reading about h-reap, and what i understood is that an AP in h-reap mode could be used in a remote office.  it would still communicate with the wlc across a wan for authentication and configuration, but all the data would be terminated locally at that remote office insted of having to funnel through hte wlc.  that got me thinking why couldn't you do this in a lan environment? why does traffic need to go through the wlc, when the access point is fully capable of doing the frame decapulation/encapsulation right there.

i'm sure theres a good reason, and i'm going to get some pricing on a 5508 but i thought i'd see if i could do it wiht what i have first

Correct Answer
jhedstr2 Thu, 06/10/2010 - 04:21
User Badges:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

To use H-REAP as you describe works fine and the traffic don’t need to go pass the WLC. The only thing is that you might need dot1q trunk with all VLANs to the access points, and some more configuration in the WLC. But otherwise H-REAP works fine and it’s not just for remote office any more.

Actions

This Discussion