cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Declining a call on a CISCO IP PHONE 7940 series, just transfer the call to a voicemail that do not exist?

Hi,

Software installation:

- Cisco Unified CM Administration System version: 7.0.1.11000-2
- Cisco Unity 4.2 Build 4.2(1)

I have noticed something strange...

If I - on a CISCO IP PHONE 7940 SERIES phone (with a voicemail attached) - decline an incoming call from my own mobile telephone, the mobile telephone just get the message "local number 1595, is there no access to" and just hangs up. (Because I do not have any voicemail greetings configured).

If I do the same, on another CISCO IP PHONE 7940 SERIES, with no voicemail attached, I just gets the message: "Sorry, welcome greeting is there no access to". and then hangs up.

Is there anywhere I can configure that I can configure that the phone just hangs up, if I press decline and I do not want to talk with the number? (and avoid that the calling number gets the above message?)

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Carl-Mingus,

For the "Ring In" line state, you have two options outside of the "Answer" softkey.  One option is "DnD" (Do Not Disturb) and the other is "iDivert" (Immediate Divert).  The latter option is the one I think you are using.  iDivert is used to reject a call and immediately send it to voicemail.  "DnD" (on the other hand) is something that essentially turns the ringer off.   iDivert also only acts on the existing call while DnD is "sticky".  You toggle it on and it stays on until you turn it off.

That being said, iDivert is not a call reject mechanism it is a diversion mechanism.  More over, the feature uses the voicemail profile assigned to the line to determine how it is going to divert the call.  If you set the line to "NoVoicemail", iDivert actually stops working on the phone.

So, if you must "reject" the call and do not like DnD, the only option would be to setup a call handler on the Unity system that has no greeting, a 24x7 schedule, a unique extension, and has an after greeting action of hanging up on the caller.  Then, create a new voicemail profile with a mask set to the extension you assign to the Unity Call Handler.  Assign this profile to the line in question.  When the person hits iDivert from the line, it will send it to VM (as designed).  VM hits the call handler you configured the caller is disconnected, immediately.

Now, the problem is that the caller's experience should count for something here.  With iDivert, as soon as you divert the caller they are sent to voicemail.  In the workaround scenario, this means we hang up on the user.  This will be weird for them because they hear 1 or 2, maybe 3  rings and then "bam" fast busy.  I suspect they'll look at their phone in an odd way, and call back again.  Maybe even repeat this one or two more times.  Then, they may call another person in the company and "report a problem" or they may never call back.  The point being that it isn't graceful at all.

The alternative is to use DnD but the problem here is that once a user hits DnD, they would need to hit it again to turn it "off".

Sorry if this is confusing.  The bottom line is there isn't a 1:1 mapping between existing features and your specific requirement.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Carl-Marius,

I am not sure I am following you.  Are these messages coming from Unity:

Carl-Marius.Steensen wrote:

"local number 1595, is there no access to" and

"Sorry, welcome greeting is there no access to".

If so, then you can avoid playing the second message (on the phone that does NOT have voicemail).  Go to the directory number that doesn't have a voicemail box (the second phone in your example) and modify the Call Forward No Answer and Call Forward Busy parameters so that they do NOT have the voicemail box checked.  Also make sure that these parameters do not specify a forward destination that would send the call to Unity.

I I am misunderstanding you, then please clarify.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

I will try to clarify:

If I make a call to another telephone, 1562, with no voicemail attached in the Unity 4.2, and decline the call on the 1562 phone, I get the same message as if I configure the 1562 telephone number to "forward all" to voicemail in the CUCM, even though there are no voicemail on the 1562 telephone number in the Unity.

In my understanding of the system, if I have a telephone without a voicemail attached and I choose to decline an incoming call, it should just hang up instead of the bringing the system message.

Or should it?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Please clarify "decline".  Are you not answering the call?  hitting a button on the phone?  If hitting a button on the phone, what button/softkey/feature are you using?  I am assuming that "phone" being called (and "declining" the call is the Cisco IP phone, correct?).

Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill,

If I get a call on my telephone I can choose between to things on the display on the phone: "Answer" or "Decline", and I have to choose between these to choices with the first or second button on the telephone. When I choose the "Answer" I get the call and can talk with the person at the other end... If it is a person I do not want to talk with, I can choose "Decline".

(I do not know whether it is the correct word to use, the Danish words on the phone are "besvar" and "afvis", and I just translate them to "answer" and "decline").

The Phone Button Template on the phone is the "SEP0014691B5534-SCCP-Individual Template" and the Softkey Template is the "Standard User Silkeborg"

I have attached a screendump of both configurations.

All the phones mentioned are CISCO IP PHONE 7940 SERIES, the only difference between them are that some of the have voicemails attached (1595)and others do not (1562).

Hope this clarify it a little

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Carl-Mingus,

For the "Ring In" line state, you have two options outside of the "Answer" softkey.  One option is "DnD" (Do Not Disturb) and the other is "iDivert" (Immediate Divert).  The latter option is the one I think you are using.  iDivert is used to reject a call and immediately send it to voicemail.  "DnD" (on the other hand) is something that essentially turns the ringer off.   iDivert also only acts on the existing call while DnD is "sticky".  You toggle it on and it stays on until you turn it off.

That being said, iDivert is not a call reject mechanism it is a diversion mechanism.  More over, the feature uses the voicemail profile assigned to the line to determine how it is going to divert the call.  If you set the line to "NoVoicemail", iDivert actually stops working on the phone.

So, if you must "reject" the call and do not like DnD, the only option would be to setup a call handler on the Unity system that has no greeting, a 24x7 schedule, a unique extension, and has an after greeting action of hanging up on the caller.  Then, create a new voicemail profile with a mask set to the extension you assign to the Unity Call Handler.  Assign this profile to the line in question.  When the person hits iDivert from the line, it will send it to VM (as designed).  VM hits the call handler you configured the caller is disconnected, immediately.

Now, the problem is that the caller's experience should count for something here.  With iDivert, as soon as you divert the caller they are sent to voicemail.  In the workaround scenario, this means we hang up on the user.  This will be weird for them because they hear 1 or 2, maybe 3  rings and then "bam" fast busy.  I suspect they'll look at their phone in an odd way, and call back again.  Maybe even repeat this one or two more times.  Then, they may call another person in the company and "report a problem" or they may never call back.  The point being that it isn't graceful at all.

The alternative is to use DnD but the problem here is that once a user hits DnD, they would need to hit it again to turn it "off".

Sorry if this is confusing.  The bottom line is there isn't a 1:1 mapping between existing features and your specific requirement.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl-Marius,

Hope life is treating you well my friend!

This is the great thing about these Forums, we get lots of technical

info and even learn some new languages Like Bill nicely noted (+5 Bill)

I think afvir = DND or Do Not Disturb (decline or reject). Have a look at the DN config

page for 1595 and check the Call Forward No Answer setting. I'm guessing it

is set to forward to VM either via the checkbox or the VM PIlot #. Change this to "no"

Call Forward No Answer and you should see the required results.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob and Bill,

Thank you both for your answers! - I have not solved the issue yet, but now I have a direction.

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: