Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Location Tracking of Nortel Phones with MSE / Aeroscout

Hi there

actually we can track laptops and other CCX devices with our MSE and Aeroscout equipment. The problem is that we can't track Nortel IP phones. Has someone ever did this configuration and what is important to take a look at. I don't know anything about Nortel, so this would be helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance

Dominic

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your AeroScout Engine is setup to track tags using CCX, I don't think you can set it up to to track fully associated clients. I would check with AeroScout though. Do you have access to Cisco WCS? You should be able to "see" the phones in there, but not necessary track them.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Elliott Shawd
Level 1
Level 1

Nortel isn't listed in the list of CCX vendors found here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

So, it looks like your phones may not support CCX which would explain why they aren't being tracked.

Hi Elliot

thanks for the answer, I know that they don't support CCX, but is this really the only way to track a device with the Cisco MSE, aren't threre other protocols like WDS or IBSS (Aeroscout)?

Regards

Dominic

If your AeroScout Engine is setup to track tags using CCX, I don't think you can set it up to to track fully associated clients. I would check with AeroScout though. Do you have access to Cisco WCS? You should be able to "see" the phones in there, but not necessary track them.

I think the AeroScout engine in the MSE only tracks CCX devices, so you are right that it will not work with CCX. I already asked AeroScout and they told me that it is not a problem of AeroScout, its a problem with Cisco (MSE and WCS)...

It's true, the phones are on the WCS, but can't get tracked in the maps. Maybe I try to contact Nortel and ask there.

Regards

Dominic

No, you cannot get "real time" tracking out of WCS, but you can track your Nortel phones just like any other client in WCS. You can get association reports and, with the MSE, location and triangulation on a map, which should update from your controllers pretty frequently, and track stuff that way.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How about putting AeroScout tags on the Nortel phones?

Both are not practicable, because it is the emergency hospitalisation and they need realtime tracking. Putting a tag on the phone makes the phone even more "bigger".

Regards

Hi there

just as an information, it was a licensing problem, the MSE / WCS run out of license and so the Nortel phones (and many other clients) were not tracked.

Now it works great.

Regards

Dominic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card