cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 netflow without L3 interface on 6509 VSS?

avanzaadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm just checking if this works though I suspect the answer will be no.

Story is that I recently moved all my L3 interfaces from my two VSS switches to a dedicated core switch. Core switch is reporting both L2 and L3 netflow just fine but I'd much like to keep the option to monitor L2 traffic on the VSS using netflow.

Regards

Fredrik

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Fredrik,

until the device has an IP address to be used as source for netflow export packets you should be fine.

However, if netflow accounting for L2 bridged traffic requires the configuration of the L3 interface you are in trouble

but :

>> To enable NetFlow for bridged IP traffic on a  VLAN, you must create a corresponding VLAN interface and enter the no shutdown command. The no  shutdown command can be followed, if necessary, by the shutdown command.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/netflow.html#wp1157805

So you may be able it, the risk may be that if the VSS should reload you may need to repeat the no shut/shut procedure on the SVI

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Much as I suspected. A layer3 interface is not an option right now.

Thanks

Fredrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card