Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Root bridge priority

vpollifrone
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Regarding root bridge priority, our current catalyst 4510 switch 1 is the root for all VLANs from 1-205. I need to pull all the even numbered vlans from core 1 and make core switch 2 the root priority for all the even numbered vlans. I know that there will be spanning tree convergence in doing so for all the even numbered vlans, but will there be any effect on the odd-number vlans in core1? any info would be appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

vpollifrone wrote:

All,

Regarding root bridge priority, our current catalyst 4510 switch 1 is the root for all VLANs from 1-205. I need to pull all the even numbered vlans from core 1 and make core switch 2 the root priority for all the even numbered vlans. I know that there will be spanning tree convergence in doing so for all the even numbered vlans, but will there be any effect on the odd-number vlans in core1? any info would be appreciated.

No there shouldn't be but i would still do this out of hours and tell the company that will be a short outage on the network.

Jon

View solution in original post

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

I totally agree with Jon.. when changing the root bridge for even VLANs, the upstream switch will not have any topology changes for odd vlans, since the root switch will continue acting the root for end users.. There will not be any TCN's generated during this time, but just to be safe, its better to take a downtime notifying a very small disruption ! better to be safe than sorry : )

Jon - congrats on your "hall of fame" 

Raj

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

vpollifrone wrote:

All,

No there shouldn't be but i would still do this out of hours and tell the company that will be a short outage on the network.

Jon

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

I totally agree with Jon.. when changing the root bridge for even VLANs, the upstream switch will not have any topology changes for odd vlans, since the root switch will continue acting the root for end users.. There will not be any TCN's generated during this time, but just to be safe, its better to take a downtime notifying a very small disruption ! better to be safe than sorry : )

Jon - congrats on your "hall of fame" 

Raj

Raj

Thanks. Can't speak for the others but my place is due mainly to persistence ie. you post enough answers you get a lot of points

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card