cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Xenpak LX4 to SFP+

ssjoberg
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at deploying the 4948E switch in my enviroment to replace a 6504 with Sup720 10gig blades. The 6504 is using the XENPAK-10GB-LX4 to connect to my core and the core is using the same Xenpak. I don't want to replace the Xenpaks in my core if I don't have to.The 4948E uses STP+ and there isn't an SFP+ LX4 module. It looks like the XENPAK-10GB-LX4 should connected to the SFP-10G-LRM. Am I correct?

Steve

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"It looks like the  XENPAK-10GB-LX4 should connected to the SFP-10G-LRM. Am I correct?"

You cannot connect the LX4 to the LRM. 

The LX4 actually transmits 4 optical signals (parallel) versus a single optical signal (serial) for the LRM.  The following Cisco paper discusses the LRM and LX4 interfaces.  

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/prod_white_paper0900aecd806b8bcb.html>

Unless you can use an 4900 module that uses X2 optics modules with LX4 support, you will have to select another module type for your core switches.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

I don't want to replace the Xenpaks in my core if I don't have to

With 4948 with 2 10G you can use XENPAK-10GB-LX4 but not with 4948E.

So if not bought you can compare which make more sene 4949 with Optic module you already have or 4948E with SFP+ modules.

XENPAK-10GB-LX4 will not work with other modules for reason mentioned by Tom.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: