Views
Helpful
Replies

COnfiguring QOS on 3mb Metro Ethernet Circuit

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,
    I am preparing to add syntax to a metro circuit that is being terminated on one side by a Cat65000 and a Juniper EX4200 on the other.  Right now I am focusing on configuring the Cisco side.  The purpose of the syntax is to

preserve call quality in rare instances of a bandwidth consumption spike.  I am leaning toward using NBAR instead of ACLs, please let me know if this is not a good idea to you in this particular context;

Information -

Circuit bandwidth 3072 kb/sec (3mb circuit)

GLOBAL CONFIGURATION on Cat65000

mls qos
ip cef

INTERFACE CONFIGURATION

interface GigabitEthernetx/x
bandwidth 3072
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
load-interval 30
ip nbar protocol-discovery
service-policy output Data-Circuit
end

POLICY MAP CONFIGURATION

policy-map Data-Circuit
class voip-rtp
    set dscp ef
    priority percent 50 ! CONFIGURES LLQ FOR RTP TRAFFIC (LLQ IS ALSO CALLED "PRIORITY QUEUING")
class voip-control
     set dscp cs3
    bandwidth percent 5 ! RESERVES 5 PERCENT OF BANDWIDTH FOR VOICE CALL CONTROL
class class-default
    fair-queue

CLASS MAP CONFIGURATION

class-map match-any voip-rtp
match protocol rtp audio
class-map match-any voip-control
match protocol skinny
match protocol sip
match protocol h323
match protocol mgcp

So, a few questions;

1) Is the command "ip nbar protocol-discovery" necessary for the interface?  This command does not appear available when I type it, but I don't know if that's because I have not applied the "ip cef" syntax or if this is a Cisco IOS

version issue

2) The purpose of this syntax is to control traffic in congestion situations.  The QOS SRND supports this assumption, but I just want to make sure - in the absense of congestion, full bandwidth should be available to all applications,

correct?

3) I can't find information pertaining to the bandwidth requirements for SCCP.  The configuration examples that I have found imply that it is 32kb/s, is this correct?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback or clarification.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As long as CEF is enabled NBAR is running by default on any newer IOS.  You only need to use the discovery command to log what is traversing the interface for your review.  Without the discovery command NBAR will still match your protocols, you just won't be able to use the show ip nbar protocol-discovery command to review what NBAR has been seeing.

You can certainly use your ACL to match rather than matching the protocol.  I think that is all NBAR is doing anyway - matching the ports that the protocol you specify uses.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joel Hatfield
Level 1
Level 1

You shouldn't need to enable nbar to match protocols with your class maps.  If you want to learn some statistics about what protocols are traversing the interface though this command would apply.

Right - QoS policies do not apply unless there is congestion.

You can find layer 3 bandwidth requirements for SCCP in table 3-12 on this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/netstruc.html#wp1045375

Joel,

The NBAR statements would be needed if I don't happen to trust the markings that are already on the packets, no?  In that situation, the two ways to remark the packets would be to use NBAR or ACLs?

djh278778
Level 1
Level 1

Leave NBAR on the interface, do a "clear counters" make a call, then do a "show policy-map interface x/x" to see if your voip maps are matching any packets or if their all matching under the default map. If you are matching packets correctly then you can remove NBAR and try it again to see if it makes a difference. I would just leave it on though.

My question had less to do with NBAR and more to do with a reality check - does this syntax look like it does I think it does.  As it turns out, I'm not going to be using NBAR but rather ACLs, which will look like this;

ip access-list extended voip-control
permit tcp any any eq 2000
permit tcp any eq 2000 any

ip access-list extended voip-rtp
permit tcp any any udp 16384 32767

This only covers SCCP, but I can add the rest.

As long as CEF is enabled NBAR is running by default on any newer IOS.  You only need to use the discovery command to log what is traversing the interface for your review.  Without the discovery command NBAR will still match your protocols, you just won't be able to use the show ip nbar protocol-discovery command to review what NBAR has been seeing.

You can certainly use your ACL to match rather than matching the protocol.  I think that is all NBAR is doing anyway - matching the ports that the protocol you specify uses.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: