Remote Backup Wireless LAN Controller

Unanswered Question
Jun 9th, 2010

We have many remote sites that each have their own 4402 WLC's locally.  I am planning on having a larger WLC at our central site to serve as backup in the event that the local WLC goes down at a remote site.  I am not planning on using h-reap in the event of a failover since the majority of the client traffic comes back the central site normally anyway. What i am a little confused about is how the WLC at the central site is going to be able to have an vlan interface for a remote site network network that is on the other side of a wan connection. Wouldn't the central site backup WLC need to have a vlan interface for a network at each of our remote site locations??  Maybe I am totally off base with this one. 

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

That is the tricky side of having local controllers and a central controller.  How I would do it, the central controller would have the same SSID's & settings, but differenet VLAN's/IP subnets.  When the local AP's connect to the controller - the controller will push all new config to them.  Naturally - users would not see a seemless failover with this way.

HTH>

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content