cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2000 F/W 3.0.0.18 Upgrade Fails

GeoffHart
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SGE2000 running v3.0.0.17 and am trying to upgrade it to v3.0.0.18.

When I use Easy Upgrade, it connects to the switch via telnet, logs in, runs 'show stack' and 'show system' and seems to get a valid response back from the switch. After this the upgrade is immediately terminated with the error "Did not find device  information. Application will terminate". There is a log file that contains nothing really interesting. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Log file:

------------------

Step1:Trying to open telnet connection...
Step1:Gathering information
show system--checking result for "show system unit 1-2
Step1:Type        :  
Step1:OID         :   1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.72.2000.2
Step1:Sys Name    :  
Step1:Location    :  
Step1:Sys Contct  :  
Step1:Mac-Address :   00:26:0b:b0:18:f8

------------------

Wireshark trace of telnet communication (first bit of garbage cut out):

------------------

[Kconsole# show stack
% Unrecognized command

console# show system
System Description:                       24-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet Switch

System Up Time (days,hour:min:sec):       02,00:38:58

System Contact:                         

System Name:                            

System Location:                        

System MAC Address:                       00:26:0b:b0:18:f8

System Object ID:                         1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.72.2000.2

Main Power Supply Status:                 OK

Fan 1 Status:                             OK

Fan 2 Status:                             OK

Unit            Temperature (Celsius)            Status        

------------------------ ------------------------ ------------------------

1                        39                       OK          

console#

------------------

9 Replies 9

secure-networks
Level 1
Level 1

I get the exact same error on both a virtualized Windows XP and

a native Windows 7.

I have two SGE2000 stacked and my machines are connected to

the master-switch.

Firmware 3.0.0.17 installed, trying to upgrade to 3.0.0.18.

i'm facing the same problem. both form win 7 x

64 and windows xp pro.

AndreasBoehlk
Level 1
Level 1

Why don't You try the buolt in GUI. You only have to use the Upgrade Agent when You are performing major upgrades of the firmware, not for this tiny step.

I hope this helps

Andreas Boehlk

i tried that but it does not work. i can upload the new firmware to the switch through the web ui and the switch finishs with a success notification but the firmware does not get updated and remains the existing version.

Hello Dirk Alexander,

I assume the update has run perfectly and You just forgot something. The clue is that the switch has got two images to boot up from and You always update the inactive image. So You have to advise the switch to use the other image for the next boot. And then the same procedure again.

I think that's it.

Kind regards

Andreas Boehlk

ha, that's a realy usefull information! thank's a lot for it! one more question on that. do i have to reset the switch to the default settings or will it be reset automatically during reboot or will it keep the current configuration?

Hi Dirk Alexander,

the current configuration is "saved" in the running configuration. That means it's absolutely unsafe, cause you loose it completely after reboot. During reboot the switch loads the startup configuration. So in case it is not only for testing but some useful and wort to preserve settings have been made or changed, You should never forget to copy the running configuration to the startup configuration and later to the backup configuration. And for safety and veview of the settings ut is very useful to copy the configuration files to a local disk. In case of a firmware upgrade the switch often looses it's configuration, so You have to upload your previously saved config files.

Don't work too long, it's weekend

Andreas Boehlk

hi andreas,

you are right, it is weekend... same to u!

i knew the things about running and start configs. i just wanted to make sure that i got it right because if the config is not preserved during the reboot i have to physically connect to the switch but that should be a big problem just a bit annoying i will give this a try next week.

thx a lot and enjoy the rest of the weekend,

greez,

dirk

anmayfie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Below I have posted a link to an article describing how to upgrade the firmware on an SGE2000 and related devices.

Configure an Upgrade by the Use of the Easy Upgrade Utility for SFE2000, SFE2000P, SGE2000, and SGE2000P Switches

I hope this helps to solve your problem.

Thank you,

Andrew Mayfield

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X