Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN routing problem

forman102
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I ran into the issue with web-based application is not working on PCs in 2 of my VLANs. I have network with 2 "core" switches: 1x 4006 and 1x4506. There's router "on the stick" config for VLAN routing for all of the VLANs, but 2 I'm having problems with. Traffic from these 2 is routed by 4506 switch, using it's layer 3 switching capability. I tested the application on PCs in different VLANs and had no issues, except 2 VLANs which are beeing routed by 4506 switch. I'm not sure why the app is working in VLANs routed thru "VLAN router", but not while the traffic is routed by 4506 switch...

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Lukasz

4 Replies 4

William Reed
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a simple route problem on either the switch or vlan router.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I ran into the issue with web-based application is not working on PCs in 2 of my VLANs. I have network with 2 "core" switches: 1x 4006 and 1x4506. There's router "on the stick" config for VLAN routing for all of the VLANs, but 2 I'm having problems with. Traffic from these 2 is routed by 4506 switch, using it's layer 3 switching capability. I tested the application on PCs in different VLANs and had no issues, except 2 VLANs which are beeing routed by 4506 switch. I'm not sure why the app is working in VLANs routed thru "VLAN router", but not while the traffic is routed by 4506 switch...

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Lukasz

Hi Lukasz,

Just check out the tarffic flow reaching these application via 4506 switch,is there a default route towards outgoing interface on switch.Are you able to reach these application pc from client using ping or using port 80 telnet.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Ganesh,

I'm able to ping and communicate with the app thru port 80. I came to conclusion that this is problem on application layer and that one of our vendors needs to make corrections to the app.

thanks

lukasz

Ganesh,

I'm able to ping and communicate with the app thru port 80. I came to conclusion that this is problem on application layer and that one of our vendors needs to make corrections to the app.

thanks

lukasz

Hi Lukasz,

If you are able to telnet on port 80 means you are connected on the web application port on that server,so that conclude proper routing also,just check out the web application on the server published.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card