Radius Authentication 1141n

Unanswered Question
Jun 10th, 2010

I have a simple set up, 2 AP's, 1141n's.  Max ever clients connected = no more then 50

AP1= Local Radius Server and Root AP

AP2 = Root AP ONLY, uses AP1 to authenticate users

Question 1

Someone mentioned the performance hit when using the Local Radius feature, what kind of toll am I looking at?  I really like the ease of the built in Radius service.  Maybe my small user load won’t make a difference, at least that’s what I'm hoping.

Question 2

When I create my user list and passwords on the AP's Local Radius Server, I am currently matching them up to the users Active Directory credentials.  This appears to be working but what happens when the user changes their password?  I guess I don’t understand how the user can authenticate with the AP's Radius Server AND my domain at the same time.  (My clients are using the Broadcom Utility Supplicant, LEAP and EAP-FAST authentication)

Question 3

This probably stems from question 2, but my users are not getting mapped drives correctly and logon scripts are failing.  This may be a timing issue because they can map drives manually. Event logs definitely show a problem initially connecting to the backed domain after AP authentication.  How can I fix this?

Thanks!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Elliott Shawd Fri, 06/18/2010 - 17:17

I suppose 2 access points is sufficient for 50 clients, but as far as the local radius goes, what's wrong with extending your AD into a radius server? This would satisfy questions 1 and 2. As far as q3, it sounds like your script is running before your client is fully connected to your wireless network. Does the script run each time a user logs on, even if the drives are already mapped? I personally don't like logon scripts and prefer the "Reconnect upon logon" checkbox for my mapped drives.

Actions

This Discussion