cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble Adding Ad Hoc Target in IPM 4.2.0

zebranutz80
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to add an Ad Hoc Target to IPM to measure performance between our network and a server.  It is pretty self explainitory in IPM on how to add a new target.  I've gone through the process of clicking on "Add Adhoc Target",  I put in the IP address, and clicked ADD.  IPM gives me a message saying it has been added successfully.  However, when I go back into the Devices section of IPM it is not listed under the AdHoc Target group.  It isn't listed under All Devices either.  Any thoughts???

-tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We also can't add ad-hoc targets anymore in our lab. This used to work.

We did install various campus manager and RME patches recentlty. I cannot confirm this, but I'm wondering if those patches didn't "influence" the workings of adding a ad-hoc target for IPM.

In any event, we did find a work-around.

Use the IPM CLI function:

Usage: ipm addadhoctarget -u userid -p password [-m email] {-device deviceip | hostname} [-input argumentFile]

example:

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>ipm addadhoctarget -u admin -p admin -device 10.1.2.31

* Warning * The -p option  is highly insecure and *not* recommended.
* Warning * See -u option for more details.

INFO - Done with the execution of the command.

SUMMARY
========
        Successful: ipm addadhoctarget

At least this way you get to add the ad-hoc targets.

cheers

Pierre

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah, this interface is pretty straight-forward.  I certainly cannot reproduce.  What browser are you using?  Exactly what are you specifying as your target device?  What errors do you see in ipmclient.log after adding the adhoc target?

Joe,

I have tried using IE8 and IE6 browsers.  I am specifying an IP Address as my AdHoc device.  I only put "10.11.21.31" into the field.  I tried again today and found the following in the ipmclient.log file:

[ Fri Jun 11  14:43:37 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor6],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,303,Adhoc devices to be added by admin [ Fri Jun 11  14:43:37 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor6],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,329,Adding the valid adhoc devices of Size 1 into IPM [ Fri Jun 11  14:43:37 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor6],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,339,Added, 1 adhoc devices into IPM [ Fri Jun 11  14:44:51 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor5],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,303,Adhoc devices to be added by admin [ Fri Jun 11  14:44:53 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor5],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,329,Adding the valid adhoc devices of Size 0 into IPM [ Fri Jun 11  14:44:53 CDT 2010 ],INFO ,[TP-Processor5],com.cisco.nm.ipmng.devicemanager.ui.action.DCRDevicesAction,addAdhocDevices,339,Added, 0 adhoc devices into IPM

I do not receive an error message.  IPM tells me the device was added successfully, but it still doesn't show in the list.

-tom

My guess is that the target you're trying to add is already in DCR.  This could happen if the LMS server ins integrated with ACS.  If so, check the Common Services > Device and Credentials > Reports > Devices not configured in ACS report to see if the targets are listed there.

We also can't add ad-hoc targets anymore in our lab. This used to work.

We did install various campus manager and RME patches recentlty. I cannot confirm this, but I'm wondering if those patches didn't "influence" the workings of adding a ad-hoc target for IPM.

In any event, we did find a work-around.

Use the IPM CLI function:

Usage: ipm addadhoctarget -u userid -p password [-m email] {-device deviceip | hostname} [-input argumentFile]

example:

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>ipm addadhoctarget -u admin -p admin -device 10.1.2.31

* Warning * The -p option  is highly insecure and *not* recommended.
* Warning * See -u option for more details.

INFO - Done with the execution of the command.

SUMMARY
========
        Successful: ipm addadhoctarget

At least this way you get to add the ad-hoc targets.

cheers

Pierre

Thank you Pierre.  The CLI option worked perfectly. 

Like you, I have LMS updated with all recent updates.  The OS used is Win2003 Server SP2.  It is set to automatically update.  Perhaps a Windows or LMS update is not compatible. 

This shouldn't be required.  If ACS is not involved, enable IPMCLIENT debugging under IPM > Admin > Loglevel Settings, then try and add an ad hoc

target in the GUI.  Then post the ipmclient.log.

I attempted to add an AdHoc device this morning via GUI with IP Address 10.180.13.2.  It did not work.

Yesterday I successfully added AdHoc device 10.11.21.31 via the CLI.

Thanks for your continued help.  I hope the log file helps.

-tom

I'm not seeing any errors here.  In fact, unlike the last log, it really does look like the device was successfully added.  Given this, I recommend you open a TAC service request so this can be analyzed in real time (and the database can be inspected).

I opened a case with TAC.  They have run into a similar issue and sent me a patch.  The patch name is CSCta659741.01 but is only available as a special request download.  The patch fixed my problem.  Thanks for all your help!

-tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco