cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

networking troubleshoot/question

siclines1234
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if someone can answer a question for me.

I have WRT54G Router that is assigned a Static IP address to the WAN port and I have a Cisco 1841 that is connected to a LAN port on the WRT54G. The port on the Cisco is assigned a Static IP.

Do I have to create route on the WRT54G between the two for a connection?

5 Replies 5

siclines1234
Level 1
Level 1

It should be noted that the WRT is NOT dhcp enabled

Hi Jackie,

Since the routers are directly connected to each other you just need to assign an IP to each side of the link and they should be able ping each other.

HTH

Reza

And they need to be in same subnet, I mean both end routers IP address.

let me ask you this then, the Linksys WRT has a Static IP assigned to the WAN port (77.x.x.120) and a LAN address of 192.168.30.150 with DHCP off. Two cables are plugged it into the LAN, one cable is going to port 0/1 on the Cisco 1841 and the other is going to a NetGear switch. The port 0/0 on the 1841 is the office LAN, that has a cable plugged into the NetGear switch. The interface 0/0 is assigned a static address of 192.168.30.1 with a DHCP Pool ranging from 100-200, DNS server address 192.168.30.150, the cable is connected to NetGear switch that the office LAN is connected to. The second port 0/1 is the VPN connection to a remote site.The port is assigned a static address of 77.x.x.121 and the cable is connected to a LAN Link port on the linksys WRT. The port 0/0 works fine, but port 0/1 cannot reach the outside, why is it that?

Thanks for your help, I appreacite it.

Jackie

Hello Jackie,

as Naidu has noted routing is done hop by hop

the 1841 needs to have an ip address in the same IP subnet of the WRT

you should have

internet ---- WAN ----WRT ---- netgear ---- 1841

||

PCs

but you cannot start the VPN from the internal router that has only private ip addresses

port0/1 is likely connected to a port that is part of the same internal ip address this is the problem.

Only the WRT has public ip addresses

I cannot say more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card