Views
Helpful
Replies

Bizarre Ext Mobility License CM 7.x

planetmaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we run CM 4.2 with 95% of staff using Ext Mobility.

We are due to upgrade to 7.x and because of the new licensing models we had a meeting at the local Cisco offices to discuss UCL, CUWL so they could explain it a bit more.

They said that Ext Mobility users would need an "analogue" liccense to carry on logging into theor phones which they said comes in at $40 and it has nothing to do with CUWL. (They said $'s even though we are in the UK)

But... we have over 2700 EM users ! That would mean over $100K spend before we do anything !!

How can that be fair? They said that due to our UCSS part of our maintenance that they software is free and so we'd be making a saving there (even though we paid for that product anyway).

How can they seriously mean this?

I cannot believe this uis true as they would have 1000's of companies waving them good bye.

But when you speak to Mohammed you believe he's telling you the truth!

Can anyone ratify or debunk this please?

7 Replies 7

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Sounds a little odd, but then it is a user-based licensing package. Stands to reason that you would need to pay something per-user, and perhaps the analogue license is the cheapest way to do that.

Maybe try mailing cuwl-support@external.cisco.com with your question...

If you find that the CUWL model doesn't work for you due to cost, then the other option is to license your phones the standard way - buy DLUs for the phones you have, and have as many users as you like.

You'd have to weigh that option against the additional software you get (Presence, MPE, etc etc) assuming that you want to use those other products.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are mistaken. User Connect Licensing (UCL) is very new and confusion on all sides is inevitable. There is a fair amount of documentation on it but it is restricted to partners or Cisco employees.  I'll attempt to summarize here for you. As a disclaimer: I am not a Cisco employee and cannot make legally binding statements about compliance or non-compliance. You are responsible for getting your Cisco Account Manager to concur with anything you take from this reply.

First to ensure this is clear: UCL is user-based licensing of feature access and the elimination of server/software licenses. Unified Workspace Licensing (UWL or CUWL) is packaged suites of products/features at a discounted rate.  UWL is similar to how Microsoft provides Enterprise Agreements to provide incentive for customers to deploy additional functionality for users.

At the most basic level, UCL starts with an IP User License. While I am not allowed to post the internal documentation, I am going to provide relavent excerpts.

Telephony and Mobility Licenses 
Note:   Each order requires a minimum of 50 users (mix of LIC-CUCM-USR and LIC-CUCM-BASIC).
●  Enhanced IP User License - Entitles the user to use of a single endpoint of any make or model, including a hard phone and Soft phone from Cisco or a third party. The Enhanced IP User License also entitles Mobile Connect for a user who has a mobile client (dual mode or Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator) or any third-party mobile solution. Any user with a mobile client or third-party mobile solution requires an Enhanced UCL.
●  Basic IP User License - Entitles the user to use of one (1) Basic Cisco IP Endpoint, currently Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 and 6911 models. Basic IP User License also entitles Mobile Connect for a user who does not have any mobile client (dual mode or Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator) or any third-party mobile solution.
Note:   One UCL can cover multiple mobile devices with mobile connect for the same user.

A user is intended to be a live human. If the device is not assigned to an individual live human, it must be purchased as a public space or analog device. Personally, my rule for this is that the user's DN appears by default and the device is associated to their End User account. Again, I am not a Cisco employee and cannot make legally binding statements about license compliance.

Add-on, Analog, and Public-Space Licenses 
Definitions:
●  Analog Device - licenses one Fax Machine, analog Conference Phone, Modem, etc.
●  Public Space - licenses one IP Phone for lobby, conference room, etc. that is not associated with a particular user.

After the basic IP User license comes optional feature access. In UCL everything from video capabilities to voicemail are licensed separately. Cisco is stacking the deck to prefer CUWL for most users.

Definitions:
●  Adjunct License - licenses an existing Enhanced or Basic user for one assigned audio or video endpoint or
soft client such as Cisco IP Communicator or Cisco Unified Personal Communicator. Note: Mobile
Communicator licensing is covered as part of Cisco Unified Mobility Advantage.

●  Desktop Video License - licenses users for one video endpoint or soft client not connected to Cisco Unified
Video Advantage or Cisco Personal Communicator.

These feature-specific licenses continue in other products including Unity Connections, Unified Presence, etc. Each has documentation that partners and Cisco employees can consult.

All of this presumes you do not migrate to UWL which makes things easier. There are migration paths from a-la-carte to UCL and UWL and you can even mix them together depending on what fits for a specific business area.

After all of that, to answer your original question: The users would be requried to be converted to UCL Enhanced IP User licenses at a minimum and not Analog devices. At least that's how I read the documents on the topic.

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

My understanding of this (based upon a presentation given at a recent Cisco partner briefing) is that you need to buy an Enhanced IP User License for each user type phone that is deployed within the cluster (with the exception of some low end 6901 and 6911 phones which require a Basic IP User License). If you have more users than phones then you need to buy Analogue User Licenses for the additional users.

For example, if in your deployment you had 2000 x 7961 IP phones all of which were enabled for Extension Mobility and had 2700 active Extension Mobility users you would need to buy the following if you do not have UCSS.

Product                    Description                                                         Quantity               Cost

LIC-CUCM-USR          UCL - 1 Enhanced User                                        2000                     $210

ANLG-DEV-ADD         UCL -- 1 Analog, or an Application User add-on       700                       $40

If you do have an active UCSS contract then you will get the upgrades for the number phones you have licensed (2000 in the example above) free of charge but will have to pay $40 for the number of active users above this total (700 in the example above).

Basically Cisco have identified that under the old model they were "losing out" on revenue from CUCM deployments which had more users than phones (shift workers etc.) and have introduced this get their pound of flesh.

The Cisco partner that holds your UCSS contract should really be able to go through this with you and give you costings. If they cannot help then I work for a Catalist approved UK gold partner with an office in Manchester and would be happy to help you out with identifying the requirements and getting quotes etc. Please let me know whether this would be of value.

My understanding of this (based upon a presentation given at a recent 
Cisco partner briefing) is that you need to buy an Enhanced IP User 
License for each user type phone that is deployed within the cluster 
(with the exception of some low end 6901 and 6911 phones which require a
 Basic IP User License). If you have more users than phones then you 
need to buy Analogue User Licenses for the additional users.

Well that explains why the customer has the wrong information: there is a Cisco employee misinforming partners in the UK!

I feel pretty confident saying that the whole point behind UCL (or UWL) is to stop selling in a device-based mind-set. This reply perpetuates that DLU (device based) model by implying that you only need to buy the cheapest SKU for entitlement once you cover all of your physical phones [devices] since Device Profiles do not consume any DLUs today.

This DLU mind-set will be gone starting in the 9.0 version of the software and licensing will be enforced based on the UCL or UWL model. There is no public documentation about how this will be enforced in UCM at this time; however, one can easily extrapolate that new license files which count UCL-based features instead of DLUs will be used. As such, migrating remaining users to analog device licenses will be a very shortsighted decision as you will a) not be in compliance; and b) not be able to migrate to 9.0 since it will be enforcing the new licensing.

Jonathan,

I have the slides from the presentation which was given at the European Partner VT in April which states the following:

• More users than phones (e.g. hot-desking)

Analogue User license can be used for the additional users

Strangely the slide that states this is not in the presentation at the partner UCL site at the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/UCL_CUWL_partner_webcast.ppt

I will ping a question to the UCL email alias and ask them to clarify the exact position.

Hi,
I have sent the email below to UCL-support@external.cisco.com
Let's see what they come back with.
Hi,
I work for a Cisco gold partner in the UK. I was  attempting to help someone on the NetPro forums with a query about what is  required to license Extension Mobility users using UCL - see URL  below.
My understanding, based upon page 11 of the  attached presentation which was delivered at the European Partner VT in April,  is that customers who have more users than phones (i.e. they use Extension  Mobility) must purchase UCL Enhanced IP User Licenses to match the number of  phones deployed and then purchase Analogue User licenses for the additional  users. However some other people contributing to the thread have stated that  this is incorrect.
Please can you provide a definitive answer on how  UCL licensing works for this scenario. I would appreciate it if you could also  post your reply in the NetPro thread so that the other people contributing can  see the answer.
thanks
James Hawkins

Thanks for all the help and suggestions - lets see what that comes back with

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: