cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EAP-TLS over wireless

chris-atkins
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question for you EAP experts out there.

I want to be able to deploy EAP-TLS I understand that you need a machine and user certificate, does this mean that i would have to place the cetificate for each user account on that paticular laptop if utilised by more than one menber of staff ?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jhedstr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

If many users share clients, it can be problem that all users certificate have to be on the shared hardware. I had this issue in a school, and we ended up with using EAP-TLS and only hardware certificate. You don’t get full security in this case since you only verify the hardware, but on the other hand, the user have to log in to the domain, so users will be verified as well. Just not by the wireless system.

//Johan

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Chris,

EAP-TLS authentication requires computer and user certificates on the wireless client.

HTH>

jhedstr2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

If many users share clients, it can be problem that all users certificate have to be on the shared hardware. I had this issue in a school, and we ended up with using EAP-TLS and only hardware certificate. You don’t get full security in this case since you only verify the hardware, but on the other hand, the user have to log in to the domain, so users will be verified as well. Just not by the wireless system.

//Johan

Elliott Shawd
Level 1
Level 1

I would setup a new radius login specifically for that client

and configure all accounts on the client to use

the same credentials and cert to logon to the wireless network.

chris-atkins
Level 1
Level 1

All makes sense now, thanks everyone.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card