cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I configure 877 to access WWW server on LAN from inside LAN too?

Zenith888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is a machine on my lan with IP 10.10.10.2

Apache installed on that host is configured to serve several named virtual hosts: www.domain a...b...c.com

While I was using a cheap SMC router, I could type www.domaina.com in a browser on another machine on the LAN and access 10.10.10.2, which would serve the correct web server.

Now that I am on 877 it allows only the users from the WAN to access the named virtual hosts. I can't access them from inside the network, and I can't cheat on Apache side and create copies of the name virtual hosts as virtual hosts on another port, because the servers I am using embed full domain name in all the links, so I am getting only as far as the home page w/o any graphics and with no ability to follow links.

Basically, I can set up a copy of virtual host www.domaina.com as 10.10.10.2:8080, but when I type that address in the browser, all the links on the home page still say http://www.domaina.com/link1 etc.

So I have to set something up on 877 router to replicate the functionality of my old SMC VBR7004.

Hoping I am making sense, please feel free to ask if something is not clear.

Regards

Zen

10 Replies 10

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to configured a NAT alias on the inside interface of the 877 - this will translate the external IP address that www.domainx.com would route externally to the internal LAN IP.

HTH>

Andrew:

Can you give me an idea what the command would be to set that up?

I know of one workaround - it is to set up hosts entry to www.domainx.com

But I'd have to do it on each of the machines on the LAN which is a royal pita.

Thank you!

Zen

Andrew,

Your first link says Forbidden file or application and the other one is a 15 page generic FAQ.

If you know the answer, can you please help with the command?

Please do not attempt to educate me - routers is not my piece of bread and I am just a mechanic setting up shop network. This box will be set up and forgotten for years until it becomes obsolete. If you know the command, please ease my pain.

Thank you!

Zen

Zen,

Plain speaking eh - I like it!

1) First easy option is - if there is an internal DNS server (Which there should be!) have a specific A Record for the domain to point to the internal server. And the internal hosts would use this DNS server to resolve addresses.

2) Second option is configure the router with a static 1:1 NAT for the external IP address to the internal IP.  This is only applicable IF you have more than 1 external IP address available?? Do you?? if so then your config will need to be:-

ip nat inside source static <> <> extendable

HTH>

Andrew:

We don't have an internal DNS, it would be an overkill for just a dozen machines.

If I have to go that route, I'd rather copy hosts file across.

And we only have 1 external IP.

Thanks

Zen

Zen,

Then your only option is a host file on all macines with a static specific entry.

HTH>

It is still a curious fact that the old cheap router could do what Cisco 877 would not allow. The solution must be out there.

Reinstall the other device.

The old one is retired as it's power supply gave up and it survived being spliced with an old AT form factor PC power supply. Plus it could not cope with traffic once the ISP upgraded DSL service from 3 to 5 Mbit. We are using many remote desktop sessions, VPN, VoIP and it was simply choking when many connections were established, even though single connection was just as fast as any other router's.

I wonder how they achieved that feature I am missing, even though the device was cheap and had very limited capabilities.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: