cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Exclude vlan from VTP domain

Daniel Graham
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to exclude a vlan from a vtp domain? I would like to add a vlan to the vtp server switch and NOT have it propagate to all client switches.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

>> Is it possible to exclude a vlan from a vtp domain? I would like to add a vlan to the vtp server switch and NOT have it propagate to all client switches.

this is not possible.

some options:

ensure you still have another  VTP server  if so you can change mode to VTP transparent on device that needs this vlan

OR

consider the use of a routed link to an external switch

A L3 routed link is not part of vlans so it is not advertised by VTP in this way you could have your "private vlan"

note:

private vlans may be another way to do this but it should be checked if they are propagated by VTP or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it possible to exclude a vlan from a vtp domain? I would like to add a vlan to the vtp server switch and NOT have it propagate to all client switches.

Is this A VLAN in a number of VLANs or only ONE and only VLAN?  If you have only ONE VLAN then go Transparent mode.  If you have a group of VLANs and you just want to exclude one then in your allowed Trunks, just deny that VLAN you don't want to propagate.

Does this answer your question?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

>> Is it possible to exclude a vlan from a vtp domain? I would like to add a vlan to the vtp server switch and NOT have it propagate to all client switches.

this is not possible.

some options:

ensure you still have another  VTP server  if so you can change mode to VTP transparent on device that needs this vlan

OR

consider the use of a routed link to an external switch

A L3 routed link is not part of vlans so it is not advertised by VTP in this way you could have your "private vlan"

note:

private vlans may be another way to do this but it should be checked if they are propagated by VTP or not.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thats what I was afraid of. I am not able to use a routed link in this setup unfortunately. I have never had a need for this before, thought I would check here as I did not figure out a way to do it.

Thanks for everyones input. I can exclude vlan on trunks so it cant be used on other areas of the network, but I'd rather not do so. I will figure something out.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco