Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Cisco 800 serie Router

Tim Roelands
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a terminalserver within out local network. The LAN en WAN are connected trough a Cisco 867 router, everthing works fine, but I would like to finetune one issue. When a internal user starts a download (consuming almost all WAN bandwidth) the terminalserver responds very slow when connected from the WAN. Is it possible to reserve a minimum amount of bandwidth for a single port on the router, sharing one WAN connection. At this moment all 4 ports are within a single Vlan. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

A simple answer - yes it is possible.  However I presume the terminal server is on the LAN - as are your users.  If there is a user that starts a large D/L from the WAN, and the terminal server is slow - this would indcate a bottle neck on the LAN. As you are also on the LAN - the traffic should not pass thru the router as it's locally switched, and not routed.

Post your config for review - remove sensitive information.

The terminal is connected from outside the LAN (WAN), so managment should take place on the WAN interface...

I personally would have 2 QoS policies, for inbound & outbound to control the traffic, especially if the term

server is used over the WAN.

HTH>

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card