Helpful
Replies

vtp transparent switch,vlan.dat, startup-config

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

I have few questions.

My book says , a vtp transparent switch stores vtp info in vlan.dat and in running-config . This vtp con can be saved from running-config to startup-config by using copy running-config startup-config.  If the switch relaods and finds  the contents  of vlan.dat   are different from startup-config, switch uses vlan.dat contents.

How can the contents of vlan.dat be different from startup-config?

for example

Sw(config) vtp domain  cisco

Switch#  copy running-config startup-config.

Now both vlan.dat and startup-config has same vtp info i.e vtp domain cisco

===============================================

Now i change the domain name to test.

switch(config) vtp domain test  (  at this point, will switch not update its vlan.dat with new domain name test? )

switch# copy running-config-startup-config

If  switch has updated its vlan.dat with new domain name "test", the contents of both vlan.dat and startup-config should be same.

Thanks and have a good day.

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body.

I have few questions.

My book says , a vtp transparent switch stores vtp info in vlan.dat and in running-config . This vtp con can be saved from running-config to startup-config by using copy running-config startup-config.  If the switch relaods and finds  the contents  of vlan.dat   are different from startup-config, switch uses vlan.dat contents.

How can the contents of vlan.dat be different from startup-config?

for example

Sw(config) vtp domain  cisco

Switch#  copy running-config startup-config.

Now both vlan.dat and startup-config has same vtp info i.e vtp domain cisco

===============================================

Now i change the domain name to test.

switch(config) vtp domain test  (  at this point, will switch not update its vlan.dat with new domain name test? )

switch# copy running-config-startup-config

If switch has updated its vlan.dat with new domain name "test", the contents of both vlan.dat and startup-config should be same.

Thanks and have a good day.

Hi Sarah,

The vlan and VTP information is actually kept in the VLAN.DAT file in Flash memory, and the contents of Flash are kept on a reload. The file has to be deleted manually in order to remove the vlan and vtp information from the switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card