Views
Helpful
Replies

Active vlan, pruning

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

long time ago, i asked a question about  when we say a vlan is active.  I remember it was Rick who answered, I found out a vlan is said to be active if  port is assigned to it on the switch or  switch has a trunk

I came up with some more questions ( yea after 7 months)

1) let say we have a switch, sw1 with vlan 1,2. with a trunk but no port is assigned to vlan2. If i remove vlan 2 from trunk, will vlan2 be considered active?

2)  Let say sw1 receives a vtp prunning message as a result, sw1 decides to prune vlan 2 on the trunk , will vlan 2 be considered as active considering no port is assigned to vlan2?

3)  let say we have a brand new switch with no coneectivity to network. i just configure vlan 2 but did not assign any port to it, will vlan2 be considered as active?

thanks and have a good day.

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body.

long time ago, i asked a question about  when we say a vlan is active.  I remember it was Rick who answered, I found out a vlan is said to be active if  port is assigned to it on the switch or  switch has a trunk

I came up with some more questions ( yea after 7 months)

1) let say we have a switch, sw1 with vlan 1,2. with a trunk but no port is assigned to vlan2. If i remove vlan 2 from trunk, will vlan2 be considered active?

2)  Let say sw1 receives a vtp prunning message as a result, sw1 decides to prune vlan 2 on the trunk , will vlan 2 be considered as active considering no port is assigned to vlan2?

3) let say we have a brand new switch with no coneectivity to network. i just configure vlan 2 but did not assign any port to it, will vlan2 be considered as active?

thanks and have a good day.

Hi Sarah,

In order for the VLAN interface to be fully active, which means that it is administratively up and line protocol is up, make sure to have at least one port as a member of that VLAN, with an active device connected to the port.

Vlan 2 will be active if at all you do not assign a port and allow on the  trunk but svi for vlan 2 will be down as stated on the above statement.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remeber to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card