cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T.37 Offramp - Confirmation receipts

Brendan Marmont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, is it possible to get a delivery reciept/confirmation for an outgoing fax transmission using T.37 Off_Ramp?

Thanks in adavance

Brendan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That depends on your definition of confirmation receipt. You CAN receive an SMTP-based Message Delivery Notification; however, you cannot provide a receipt to the sending device directly. This is a limitation of T.37 because it acts an asynchronous relay. The onramp T.37 gateway provides confirmation to the sending device that it has received the fax (over T.30) and then closes communications with the sending device. The only opportunity for a receipt is at the off-ramp gateway but this is not communicating with the original sender directly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/fax/configuration/guide/vf_t37_str-fwd_fax_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1076149

You may want to investigate T.38 as a reliable synchronous relay of fax data if you need the actual sending device to get a traditional confirmation or failure notification.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That depends on your definition of confirmation receipt. You CAN receive an SMTP-based Message Delivery Notification; however, you cannot provide a receipt to the sending device directly. This is a limitation of T.37 because it acts an asynchronous relay. The onramp T.37 gateway provides confirmation to the sending device that it has received the fax (over T.30) and then closes communications with the sending device. The only opportunity for a receipt is at the off-ramp gateway but this is not communicating with the original sender directly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/fax/configuration/guide/vf_t37_str-fwd_fax_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1076149

You may want to investigate T.38 as a reliable synchronous relay of fax data if you need the actual sending device to get a traditional confirmation or failure notification.

Brendan Marmont
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Jonathan, we have the mdn line in our config, however I only get a dsn failure receipt to the Outlook client, I need sucessfull receipts also. Is there soemthing I am missing from our config below? Do you have a good doc for setting up T.38 by chance?

Cheers again

Brendan

fax receive called-subscriber $d$
fax send transmitting-subscriber $s$
fax interface-type fax-mail
mta send server 10.10.0.16 port 25
mta send subject "Incoming Fax - AKL"
mta send mail-from username $s$
mta receive aliases fax.domain.com
mta receive maximum-recipients 10
mta receive generate mdn
mta receive generate permanent-error

dial-peer voice 60001 mmoip
description Inbound peer for T.37 off-ramp operation
service fax_offramp
information-type fax
incoming called-number .
image resolution standard
mdn
dsn delayed
dsn success
dsn failure

You have to request a delivery receipt when composing a message from your mail client. Then on successful fax transmission, ‘Fax Daemon’ will send a Delivery Status Notification with the text like

Delivery was successful to the following recipient(s):

Successful with the status of: 250 2.5.0 Requested mail action ok, completed.

By the way, T.37 can be used in synchronous way, without intermediate MTA. In this case success DSNs are not needed, please see http://www.sandlerco.com/t37fsp4cisco.htm for details.

Cisco crashes when i tried with return-receipt from Apple Mail ('Disposition-No

tification-To) turned on. Can you tell me what could be the problem?