Views
Helpful
Replies

4 Aironet 1250's and a controller?

changjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm about to order a four Aironet 1250's and a 2106 Wireless LAN Controller. From what I've read, I'll need the controller to manage the APs if I want them all to offer the same broadcast domain and subnet, and offer roaming to the users. Often times what I read and understand turns out to have little to do with reality, so my question is, am I correct about this?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

7 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joe,

210X WLC doesnot support Layer 2 transport mode.. only supported mode is Layer 3. Yes we can have the APs in the same broadcast domain that is, the APs and the WLC management and the AP manager in the same subnet works and this uses IP header instead of Ethernet frame.

We can connect the APs and the clients can roam between. We need to make sure which WLC software supports 1252 and use the same or the latest.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

210X WLC doesnot support Layer 2 transport mode.. only supported mode is Layer 3.

Actually the 2100 suport both Layer 2 and Layer 3.  Layer 3-only support starts on code 5.X and later.  But the 1250 is supported on 4.2.X and later, thus Layer 2 and Layer 3 support.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With a WLC, all you need is configure the controller ONCE.  Without a controller, you need to configured each APs individually.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42ovrv.html#wp1133151

These hardware features are not supported on 2000  and 2100 series controllers:

Power over Ethernet (PoE) [2000 series  controllers only]

Note Ports 7 and 8 on 2100 series  controllers are PoE ports.

Service port (separate out-of-band  management 10/100-Mbps Ethernet interface)

These software features are not supported on 2000 and 2100 series  controllers:

VPN termination (such as IPSec and  L2TP)

Termination of guest controller tunnels  (origination of guest controller tunnels is supported)

External web authentication web server  list

Layer 2 LWAPP

Spanning tree

Port mirroring

Cranite

Fortress

AppleTalk

QoS per-user bandwidth contracts

IPv6 pass-through

Link aggregation (LAG)

Regards
Surendra BG

yes we can.. but in the autonomous mode.. we need t oconfigure the APs individually and taking all the RF into considerations..

Regards
Surendra BG

Correct.

The 'L' in the second model type refers to Lightweight, which requires the wireless controller.

If there is no 'L' in the name then it is an autonomous AP (full fat!) and is standalone and does not require a controller.

thanks

It doesn't matter what you ordered.  At the end of the day, you can configure autonomous to LWAP and back.  Don't forget that when you order 1250, the external antennaes and power injectors are optional.

If you don't need power injectors you require a minimum of 15.4w to power both radios. 

13 Replies 13

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joe,

210X WLC doesnot support Layer 2 transport mode.. only supported mode is Layer 3. Yes we can have the APs in the same broadcast domain that is, the APs and the WLC management and the AP manager in the same subnet works and this uses IP header instead of Ethernet frame.

We can connect the APs and the clients can roam between. We need to make sure which WLC software supports 1252 and use the same or the latest.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

210X WLC doesnot support Layer 2 transport mode.. only supported mode is Layer 3.

Actually the 2100 suport both Layer 2 and Layer 3.  Layer 3-only support starts on code 5.X and later.  But the 1250 is supported on 4.2.X and later, thus Layer 2 and Layer 3 support.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With a WLC, all you need is configure the controller ONCE.  Without a controller, you need to configured each APs individually.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42ovrv.html#wp1133151

These hardware features are not supported on 2000  and 2100 series controllers:

Power over Ethernet (PoE) [2000 series  controllers only]

Note Ports 7 and 8 on 2100 series  controllers are PoE ports.

Service port (separate out-of-band  management 10/100-Mbps Ethernet interface)

These software features are not supported on 2000 and 2100 series  controllers:

VPN termination (such as IPSec and  L2TP)

Termination of guest controller tunnels  (origination of guest controller tunnels is supported)

External web authentication web server  list

Layer 2 LWAPP

Spanning tree

Port mirroring

Cranite

Fortress

AppleTalk

QoS per-user bandwidth contracts

IPv6 pass-through

Link aggregation (LAG)

Regards
Surendra BG

Thank you guys, for the fast response. You're really saving my butt here

Another question I have (or the same question posed differently) is: would I be able to provide the same subnet and roaming to users without installing a controller? The four Aironets will all be on the same, building, same floor.

yes we can.. but in the autonomous mode.. we need t oconfigure the APs individually and taking all the RF into considerations..

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks you, Surenda, Leo. I decided to not get the controller. The coverage of the APs overlap to form a contigious range, allowing for roaming (I think.)

No problem.. :-)

Regards
Surendra BG

One more question: I've asked my dealer for a quote for the following model of Aironet 1250:

AIR-AP1252AG-x-K9

On the data sheets and ordering guides this model is listed as "autonomous". There's also another model:

AIR-LAP1252AG-x-K9

Which is listed as "unified". 

Just to make sure, the autonomous version does not require a controller, correct?

Correct.

The 'L' in the second model type refers to Lightweight, which requires the wireless controller.

If there is no 'L' in the name then it is an autonomous AP (full fat!) and is standalone and does not require a controller.

thanks

Hey, thank you!

It doesn't matter what you ordered.  At the end of the day, you can configure autonomous to LWAP and back.  Don't forget that when you order 1250, the external antennaes and power injectors are optional.

If you don't need power injectors you require a minimum of 15.4w to power both radios. 

Thanks for the reminder. Power sources will be close to each AP, so I'll be getting the DC power module instead of the injectors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: