Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

On access mode I can ping server on trunk No. Cisco 3560

Hello there folks.  I have a small issue.  I have a switch which I have behind it some servers, on diffrent VLANs.  each port practically has its own VLAN.

Anyways.  As we speak lets assume I have a server plugged in to some port on my 3560.  That port it is configured as we speak as follow

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan x

I have changed that port to make it a trunk port.

1) I have defined the new VLAN

I have configured the port.

1) switchport mode trunk

2) switchport trunk enc dot1q

3) switchport trunk allowed VLAN x,y

After doing that I can verify that the trunking is porperly set up using

1) sh int gig 0/20 trunk ==> as well as

2) sh int status ==> trunking enabled.

BUT i can not ping the same server sitting behind the same port.

Any ideas?

Also please keep in mind that interVLAN routing it is working since as I have said that I have more than one VLANs on my switch.

Any help?  I would appreciate it.

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello there folks.  I have a small issue.  I have a switch which I have behind it some servers, on diffrent VLANs.  each port practically has its own VLAN.

Anyways. As we speak lets assume I have a server plugged in to some port on my 3560.  That port it is configured as we speak as follow

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan x

I have changed that port to make it a trunk port.

1) I have defined the new VLAN

I have configured the port.

1) switchport mode trunk

2) switchport trunk enc dot1q

3) switchport trunk allowed VLAN x,y

After doing that I can verify that the trunking is porperly set up using

1) sh int gig 0/20 trunk ==> as well as

2) sh int status ==> trunking enabled.

BUT i can not ping the same server sitting behind the same port.

Any ideas?

Also please keep in mind that interVLAN routing it is working since as I have said that I have more than one VLANs on my switch.

Any help?  I would appreciate it.

From server are you able to ping the gateway or the same behaivor unable to ping and from switch are you able to learn the mac address of the server.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hello,

do you have enabled dot1q trunking on the Server (installed a driver which supported trunking)?

If you haven´t configured a native VLAN on the trunk port, the default native VLAN is VLAN 1. So all untagged frames will be send in the native VLAN 1. If the destination or source server is in an other VLAN than VLAN 1, communication won`t work.

Greetz

Tobias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card