Issues after changing the AP Name on Wireless LAN Controller

Unanswered Question
Jun 13th, 2010
User Badges:

I recently changed the AP Name of all the Wireless Access Points in my branch office (which are all associated to the branch office Wireless LAN Controller(s)). After that I noticed that all branch office employees are unable to connect to the employee SSID. The employee SSID uses web authentication and employees are authenticated using Head Office AD via Cisco ACS, both located at the Head Office.

There are other SSID's on the WLC which all work fine, but only employee SSID which uses AD authentication does not work. AD authenticaion is working fine because employee's in HO are successfully able to connect to the employee SSID at HO.

The branch office is connected to the HO via a tunnel link. We noticed that if we restart both the ASA at either ends of the tunnel. The employee SSID starts working again but only temporarily for a day or so... what could be the issue? Can renaming the AP's cause issues? How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Elliott Shawd Fri, 06/18/2010 - 16:02
User Badges:

I highly doubt changing ap names would cause this issue if you did it properly. Run the following command on one comp while ssh'd into your wlc and grab the wireless mac address off another device and attempt to connect to the employee ssid:

debug client

That should tell you where exactly your employee ssid clients are bumming out.

jennyjohn Sun, 06/20/2010 - 00:39
User Badges:

Thanks Elliott,

I did the debug like you said and I am getting the following debug messages:

*apfMsConnTask_0: Jun 20 08:18:14.580: Deleting the client immediatly since WLAN is changed

and also

*apfReceiveTask: Jun 20 05:25:11.857: 00:1f:3c:86:af:15 Orphan Packet from 192.168.52.34

The logging on the WLC shows

*apfReceiveTask: Jun 18 17:56:41.788: %MM-1-ANCHOR_UNAVAILABLE: mm_mobile.c:2155
All export anchors are down. Cannot anchor the client.00:c0:a8:f3:cd:ae

The DHCP pool for the employee users are configured on a guest WLC which sits behind an ASA

Elliott Shawd Sun, 06/20/2010 - 06:52
User Badges:

I would look at the anchor controller configured for your employee wlan on your controller.

George Stefanick Sun, 06/20/2010 - 17:23
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Best Publication, October 2015

Jenny,

are you using an anchor controller? if you are when you make any change to the ssid profile on the main WLC you need to match this change on the anchor. If not, you will have issues. Not sure if you made changes to the profile ..?

jennyjohn Wed, 06/23/2010 - 00:51
User Badges:

What is an anchor controller?

I have 2 Wireless LAN controllers to which all the Access Points are connected to. and I have 2 Guest Wireless LAN Controllers where the DHCP pool is configured for the users.

Actions

This Discussion