Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect installation / vpnapi.dll failed to register

stephan.ochs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

On some of our clients (Win XP SP3 and Win 7) we get the following error while installing AnyConnect 2.4.1012

Error 1904.
Module C:\Program Files\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\vpnapi.dll failed to register.
HRESULT -2147221164.
Contact your support personnel. (<--- unfortunately that's me ;-)

Neither deinstallation of VPN Client nor manual registration of vpnapi.dll worked.

Any hints?

Thanks

Stephan

14 Replies 14

jteverbaugh
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find an answer to this?  I am having the same problem.  Thanks!!

Hi Jennifer

In some cases the following procedure solved the problem:

- start anyconnect.exe
- when the error message pops up, leave it open
- open cmd, change to directory of AnyConnect and register dll via 'regsvr32 vpnapi.dll'
- it should provide an error message like "couldn't register vpnapi.dll..."
- open registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{44EC053A-400F-11D0-9DCD-00A0C90391D3}\InProcServer32
registry key '(default)' (or similar in other languages) should contain the path to atl.dll
if necessary correct to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ATL.DLL'
- now try again 'regsvr32 vpnapi.dll'

- it may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall AnyConnect after that

Hope it helps

Stephan

Stephan - I actually can't even install AnyConnect so I can't try your solution   I get this error message during the installation process and it won't complete.  Thanks for the help though.  Jennifer

Jennifer,

so could you try just this part of the suggested solution:

- open registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{44EC053A-400F-11D0-9DCD-00A0C90391D3}\InProcServer32
registry key '(default)' (or similar in other languages) should contain the path to atl.dll
if necessary correct to 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ATL.DLL'

And then try to install again?

hth

Herbert

Hi Herbert,

I went into regedit and located HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID, but I do not have a {44EC053A-400F-11D0-9DCD-00A0C90391D3} entry.  Sorry if I am missing something, but this is all kind of new to me.

Thanks for everyone's continued support.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

just to double check and make sure you did not miss it, could you go into the registry editor (regedit.exe) and  go to Edit->Find (or press CTRL-F).

Enter atl.dll in the 'find what' field, and unselect keys and values (i.e. only look at Data).

The first 2 results (press F3 to go to the next match) should be in HKEY_LOCAL_ROOT, the 3rd one should be the one we mentioned in this thread earlier.

Herbert

Herbert, thanks for your help.... I am not sure what happened, but today I tried to install it and it worked!!  The only thing different was that I had some Windows updates yesterday.  So that must have fixed it!

Hey,

I've tried all the above tricks and I still get the same error. Was there any other official(unofficial is ok too) fix for this?

Stefano De Crescenzo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

can you make sure the ASA is in the trusted site?

Stefano

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say ASA...

Actually I was replying to both post and I was under the impression that the Anyconnect will act as vpn client and the ASA as vpn server (obviously this can be any other appliance supported by Anyconnect)

Now what you need to make sure is that you added the appliance to the trusted site in IE.

Can you try that?

Hello. I am having this issue as well on a Windows 7 host. Trying to edit that registry key can't be done - tried more than one PC. Trusted sites are greyed out in Internet Explorer so I'm not sure that can be changed.

Any ideas?

andrew.backes
Level 1
Level 1

7 years later, but better late than never. Here is the solution that worked for me.

1. Open the command prompt as an Administrator. It should open in C:\Windows\system32. If not, CD to that directory.
  2. Run command regsvr32 atl.dll
  3. Run installer once again

Relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/979/

As an IT from Western Digital i thank you for that reply :) .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: