Views
Helpful
Replies

Max number of channelised E1 on 3800

Sudhir Menon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

Can somebody help me in determining the maximum number of channelised E1 supported on a Cisco 3800 router including all possible combinations of NM-8CE1-T1/E1 and HWIC modules

I understand the 8-port card can only support 128 channels which means only 4 channelised E1s so waht is the solution if i have to add another channelised E1 to the same router

Regds,

Sudhir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Sudhir,

There are lots of things which Cisco recommends we dont follow, for example

for 12.4 IOS adv ent service its recommended dram/flash is 192/64 flash but even i use it on 64/128 it doesnt matter, but they are designed to give you optimized performance with the configuration they provide.

I think, its better to consult TAC/System engineering team in terms of hardware because software is something you can download, upgrade and if it doesnt work we can try another one, but the hardware needs to be purchased and then tried. Make your self doubly sure that combination of 2 8 port cards is going to work..

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

The solution would be to add another card. But 3800 support only 1 NM-8CE1T1 card per router

this means 128 channels = 4E1's

The good thing is the router supports upto 4 nos. HWIC-2CE1T1

i.e. 64 channels per card = 2 E1's and 4 Card = 8 E1's

So IMO best solution would be to add HWIC-2CE1T1 high speed module which will provide you to add one E1 and 1 spare for future expansion.

So may look at this doc for further info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/product_data_sheet0900aecd80710c88.html

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

Hi Hitesh,

Thanx,however i have observed that 2 (mebbe more as well)  8-port card is detected by 3800 contrary to the datasheet which says it accepts only 1 in that case can i use the 128 channels of the other 8-port card as well

Hey Sudhir,

There are lots of things which Cisco recommends we dont follow, for example

for 12.4 IOS adv ent service its recommended dram/flash is 192/64 flash but even i use it on 64/128 it doesnt matter, but they are designed to give you optimized performance with the configuration they provide.

I think, its better to consult TAC/System engineering team in terms of hardware because software is something you can download, upgrade and if it doesnt work we can try another one, but the hardware needs to be purchased and then tried. Make your self doubly sure that combination of 2 8 port cards is going to work..

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts.

Hi Hitesh,

The reason why i asked is considering the spares i have with me ,however 3800 does support 2(mebbe more as well) of 8-port PRI cards

Anyways thanks for your help ,it was very useful for me in deriving a solution ,else a router upgrade to 7200 was what i had in mind

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card