Recording and Viewing Video from Multiple Cameras with SWVMS16

Unanswered Question
Jun 14th, 2010

We have 8 PVC300 cameras deployed and are recording video using a Windows 2003 server running the SWVMS16 software client. We are using a Cisco NAS as the storage space for the recordings from the SWVMS16 software.

So far, this has presented several problems.

1) There does not seem to be a way to record the video with the SWVMS16 client on the server and then view the historical footage with SWVMS16 (or otherwise) on a separate client. Loading the software on another client machine and does not allow you to use the playback application to play the video recorded on the NAS. In fact, the playback application does not allow you to select a location to play files from. Even if you configure the second software client to store video to the same NAS location as the server client, the playback application is still not able to play the video files.

This creates a problem because we need multiple individuals to have access to the recorded video from their desktops instead of having to go to the server room and login to the server directly. Ideally, this access would be on an application level to directly access the video stored on the NAS and not require the user to actually log into the server remotely. We have also tried using remote desktop to login to the server and then run the application. Everything works over remote desktop except the video feeds. We are using VNC as a workaround but this is not at all an ideal solution and scales very poorly. Is there a way to get this working in the SWVMS16 client or with another application? If not, this is a serious shortcoming of the software client.

2) Recordings do not automatically resume following a reboot. This appears to be caused by the SWVMS16 client not running as a service but instead requiring a user to be logged in so that the client can be started and recordings begun. This causes a problem when attempting to run the recording software on an unattended server in the server room. The other issue here is that we are trying to record the video to the Cisco NAS. The SWVMS16 client does not appear to store user credentials so NAS access is also a problem. The workaround we have found is to keep the user with saved credentials for the NAS logged in so the SWVMS16 client can utilize the NAS to save video. Is there a better option here? If not, this is again a serious shortcoming of the software client.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Mon, 06/14/2010 - 14:51

#2a First.

Setup: Settings (General TAB)

Check Main Console Box

Check Schedule Recording System Box

Check box for auto login (give user and pass for main console)

Restart WIndows PC

It all starts and in recording mode.

#2b

I created a shortcut on my SWVMS16 with recording to a NSS2050 CIFS share (y: drive) and gave it the credentials for read/write access.

After reboot, SWVMS starts and starts recording to the NSS and doesnt ask me for credentials.   Please build the shortcut to fix that.

Steven DiStefano Mon, 06/14/2010 - 15:32

I tried to start only the playback application and was able to playback from a NSS folder, but I cheated.  I used the playback utility on the same machine as the main console (just turned MAIN off and started just the Playback utility).

I know the next version of SWVMS offers a Client and Server SW component, and I think this is to achieve what your after.  I cant commit a date for the new version at this time, but will check internally to see if there is a way to do what you want with the current version.  I do know since this SW is free, you can run another instance of it on the other PCs, but I realize this will use more bandwidth and space, so its only a suggestion since I am otherwise out of ideas.

BTW, what version you running? I am running 1.2.0

mpyhala Wed, 06/16/2010 - 00:11

Regarding issue 1: I have found the Backup utility in the SWVMS16 to be quite useful for viewing historical footage from PC's other than the recording server/PC. Here is how I do this:

1) Create a directory on the NAS. I name these by date and create a new folder for each 24 hour period.

2) In Main Console go to Setup > Backup, click "New Period".

3) Select the Record Date, Start Time, End Time and cameras to back up. Click "Ok".

4) Click "Backup" and browse to the folder on the NAS. Click "Ok".

Now you can access the NAS share from any PC and execute the Playback.exe that is stored with the backed up video and database. You can review the video as if it was recorded on that PC. The only drawback is if you want to review recently recorded video you have to do frequent backups. (i.e. every hour)

Let us know if this helps.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted June 14, 2010 at 9:24 AM
Stats:
Replies:3 Avg. Rating:
Views:1211 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard