Views
Helpful
Replies

Sub-interfaces

dacruzer1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7204 VXR Router, all the ports are being used except for one Fa3/0.  I am about to create three networks, 192.168.3.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24.  I'm thinking of creating sub-interfaces on Fa3/0 but before I do that, does anyone know what is the maximum sub-interface I can create on a Fast Ethernet port and what is the dis-advantage of creating sub-interfaces?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Read the following link on Router IDB's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

As far as disadvantages to using the sub interface idea, I'd suppose that high traffic volumes would give you issues.

Consider some form of throttling.

Hi

1] maximum sub-interface

---> Creating Sub-Interface on Fast Ether is nothing but associating with VLAN ID. The number of VLAN that you can create is the number of interface .

2]  dis-advantage of creating sub-interfaces

---> Dis-Advantage is nothing but you need to take care of CPU , It will utilize CPU as you will add number of interface.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

What is the command to show the current CPU utilization?

THanks

Alfred

Hi

Below are the command to see CPU utilization

1] show processes cpu

2] show processes cpu history

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card