Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabled console port on a 2950

Roberto_Bacca
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I recently purchased a 2950 Cisco switch on eBay to use in my Cisco lab.  When I try to connect to the switch using the console port I don’t get anything, no matter what I do I can’t connect using the console port (changed the port speed on the terminal emulator etc) . I tried a password recovery but no luck ……I’m very sure the console port is disabled.

I know the switch works because I can see it using CDP, I can see the new switch IP address and enough information to assume the switch is functional.

Are there any jumpers or anything that I can try to enable the console port? Any ideas Im willing to try anything.

Thanks and I do apologize for posting this topic on security when I could have posted on Routing and switching. But in my opinion the issue could be a switch issue or a security issue.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Roberto_Bacca
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved.

I replaced the console port on the switch (the internal female RJ-45 connector and white 8 conductor ribbon cable) with the port from another 2950 and that fixed the problem.  I configured the switch for VTY access and I’m set. But it would be nice if I could find that port/cable and replace it. But for now Telnet will do.

Thanks