Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisco 6120 to a NX5000

andy.yuen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Though i know that the normal way, i should have the FI connect to a MDS.

But has anyone successfully configured Cisco 6120 FI to connect to any nexus 5000 series, which is linked up to a storage?

What additional steps should i also perform?

Thanks

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ensure that NPIV is enabled on the N5K.    You'll obviously need to create all the zones & zonesets as you would on an MDS, but the procedure is very similar. The N5K must NOT be in NPV mode.

Are you having any specific difficulties?

Robert

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ensure that NPIV is enabled on the N5K.    You'll obviously need to create all the zones & zonesets as you would on an MDS, but the procedure is very similar. The N5K must NOT be in NPV mode.

Are you having any specific difficulties?

Robert

Hi Robert,

i have manage to connect and configured both the devices.

This is what i have performed:

-UCS profile created with a wwn.

-Associated the profile to a blade.

-Added the wwn of both FI and Profile into my Nexus zone member

But when i perform a sh zone member status, the pwwn of the blade is not active.

It displays pwwn xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, instead of a  * Fcid  at the start.

In short i assume,i am have not make the palo card active.

Did you create your northbound VSANs in UCSM and map those to the approriate FC uplinks on the 6120s? You will also need to select the appropriate VSAN when you create your vHBAs in the service profile. If you issue the "show flogi database" command on the N5K do you see the WWNs?

I'm assuming you are talking about FCoE?

My understanding is that this is currently not supported, and that the Fabric Interconnect will not allow any VLANs associated with a VSAN to another switch. In otherwords, the Ethernet to FC bridge has to take place on the Fabric Interconnect.

This is supposed to change in a future release, when DCB is fully implemented.

On the other hand, if you can get this to work in a lab, I'd love to see the details.

ccietrainee1
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah...I have successfully connected and configured 6120 and N5K without SAN switch in  between. Nexus 5K is directly connected to EMC Clarion CX4-120.

Config is as similar as MDS.

cheers,

Ram

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card