cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do all of you use a RS232 to RJ45 for consoles?

feng.lian
Level 1
Level 1

I was just wondering, since most PCs motherboards nowadays do not have a RS232 connection, what do you do for that? I tried a USB to serial cable and couldn't get it to work even though it says the driver was installed correctly. Actually, I've never heard of anyone who made it work.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I was using an PCMCIA card to connect to serial ports in the past.

But it was also not 100% reliable.

So I'm keeping saying my managers:

I need a notebook with a RS-232 port on motherboard!

BR,

Milan

View solution in original post

Hi Feng,

I have a USB-to-Serial cable made by Sweex and I can confirm that it works for me using both Windows XP and Windows 7 & PuTTY. I think it uses a Prolific chipset.

In the lab and the comms rooms, I have some old Cisco 2511RJ routers. These have 8 or 16 terminal ports - you can pick them up on ebay now for very little.

HTH

Kevin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I was using an PCMCIA card to connect to serial ports in the past.

But it was also not 100% reliable.

So I'm keeping saying my managers:

I need a notebook with a RS-232 port on motherboard!

BR,

Milan

Hi Feng,

I have a USB-to-Serial cable made by Sweex and I can confirm that it works for me using both Windows XP and Windows 7 & PuTTY. I think it uses a Prolific chipset.

In the lab and the comms rooms, I have some old Cisco 2511RJ routers. These have 8 or 16 terminal ports - you can pick them up on ebay now for very little.

HTH

Kevin

I have been using a USB to serial adapter by Keyspan and have had good success with it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I'm using a usb to serial adapter from ATEN, and I have no problem with that adapter.

However, be sure to always use the same usb-port on the computer, otherwise You can be forced to change the comport-number.

/Mikael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card