cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many numbers can be mapped to a PRI.

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi experts.

When i was taking voip classes 2 years back. I was told by the instructor (as i recall but i may be wrong), that you can map any amount of numbers to a PRI. Although E1 PRI has 30 channels, i can still map 100 numbers to it. Can some one pls confirm it ? is there any doc that explains this point also ?

Pls help me out

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well - you could start be researching the PRI/ISDN protocols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Services_Digital_Network) but there would be a LOT of reading there.

And what your local service providers can offer may vary from that - so you should probably speak to them to find out what limitations they (and any regulatory bodies) impose on assignment of numbers etc.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes, that is correct. PRIs will accept any numbers, the limitations come from the Service Providers.

For example, in the UK it's common to allow any amount of numbers (University customers of mine have 10000 numbers on a single set of PRIs), but generally with BT there was a limitation (not sure if it's still current) up to 6 seperate ranges (so you may have 1200-1250, 3000-3500, 5100-5120, etc, but when you have six seperate ranges you can't have more).

I expect that limitation is just imposed by the service providers or some piece of kit they commonly used rather than a limitation of PRIs as such.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Dear Aaron, can you refer me any doc or book that explains this behaviour of PRI ? i mean how would i know such things exist ? i know it comes with experience but i am sure such features will be documented somewhere :-)

If possible pls share it with me

Well - you could start be researching the PRI/ISDN protocols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Services_Digital_Network) but there would be a LOT of reading there.

And what your local service providers can offer may vary from that - so you should probably speak to them to find out what limitations they (and any regulatory bodies) impose on assignment of numbers etc.

Regards

Aaron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: