cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing Bridge placement (RBridge) help!!

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

My new boss has given me a question and to be honest I don't know the answer.  We have 2 Cisco core switches and 2 edge/distribution switches(see diagram) and he has asked be where I think I would put a routing bridge??  I havent heard of one before but it looks like it could replace the STP as it doesn't block ports so you use all the redundant links.

Can someone out there make a suggestions?

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andy,

the root bridge is an STP concept not an alternative to it

the answer depends on what type of link is between core switches and distribution switches if they are routed links to a L3 core the STP boundary is on the distribution switches and it is reasonable to have the two distribution switches to act as root bridge and secondary root bridge

Usually for load balancing for half of Vlans distrib1 is root bridge and distrib2 is backup and viceversa for the other vlans

In PVST mode one STP instance exists for each Vlan

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

My new boss has given me a question and to be honest I don't know the answer.  We have 2 Cisco core switches and 2 edge/distribution switches(see diagram) and he has asked be where I think I would put a routing bridge??  I havent heard of one before but it looks like it could replace the STP as it doesn't block ports so you use all the redundant links.

Can someone out there make a suggestions?

Attachments:        
  •                 Attachment                 trill-11.jpg                 (23.6 K)                

Hi,

A Routing Bridge or RBridge is a network device that implements the TRILL protocol, as defined by the IETF.RBridges are compatible with previous IEEE 802.1 customer bridges as well as IPv4 and IPv6 routers and end nodes. They are invisible to current IP routers and, like routers, RBridges terminate the bridge spanning tree protocol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Bridge

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card