cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 5.0(1) with Exchange 2010

CHARLES HEUPEL
Level 1
Level 1

According to the following link, Unity 5.0 supports Exchange 2010 as the partner Exchange server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/using_exch2010/usingex2010withcu7x5x.html#wp47622

However, when I get to step 14 of this document (installing ExchangeMapiCdo.exe) I get an error saying it can't be installed with this version of Exchange.

I was just wondering if anyone elsel had tried to run Exchange 2010 with Unity 5.0 and if so, how you were able to get it to work.  I followed all the steps in this document and everything seemed to be working until this step.

11 Replies 11

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you attempting to move or create (whichever is applicable) the UnityMsgStoreSvc from the Exchange administration tools (version 2003) installed on Unity or on the actual Exchange 2010 server itself?  You need to do the latter.

Hailey

David,

UnityMsgStoreSvc was originally moved from Exchange 2003 to 2010 server.  Unity started having issues so we moved the account back to Exchange 2003.  We then found the document I mentioned and followed to steps to install the ES patch (ES83 is posted but I found out you actually need ES85 and it's not posted any longer) and ExchangeMapicdo file.  However, when I went to install the Mapi file, I get an error on the Unity server saying it's not running the correct version of exchange.  However, the box is not running Exchange at all.  I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that I didn't install the correct patch.  Now I'm just trying to get Unity working with 2003 but every time we check our voicemail on the phone it says the message store is not available.  I'm assuming I need to re-run the permissions wizard and installation wizard to define the partner exchange server.

Ah, I see - your goal is now to restore service with Exchange 2003 (which you'll likely have to do before moving forward with the Exchange 2010 migration anyway unless you are going to work with TAC on the issue).  So, you are essentially correct in what you need to do.  It doesn't hurt to re-run the Permissions Wizard to check that everything is intact.  You'll also need to reinstall the Exchange 2003 System Management Tools (it sounds as if you've uninstalled this application).  From there you'll need to rerun the Message Store Configuration Wizard.  To do that, you'll need to:

Open a command line prompt and navigate to the Commserver folder on your server. In my example, I’ve loaded Unity on the D: drive so I would type D: and press enter.

Then enter "cd commserver\configurationsetup".  From within that folder path, type "setup.exe" to launch the Message Store Configuration Wizard.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

David,

Thanks for the reply.  I've already re-installed the Management tools and ran the configuration wizard.  I usually just go to add/remove programs and run it from there.  I believe that accomplishes the same purpose.  If not, let me know.  I do have a question about the mailboxes that we've moved to the exchange 2010 box.  Do you know if we can leave the user mailboxes on the 2010 box and just use the 2003 box as the partner exchange server for Unity.  I thought I could accomplish this by leaving the Unity accounts on the 2003 box but I'm not 100% for sure.  We are running out of space on the 2003 server and really need to move to a newer server.  Hence the move to 2010 running on VM.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Shane

My impression is that you have options on which server you select as the primary partner server.  However, in your case - since the Exchange 2010 conversion was started a bit before all of the actual prerequisites and information were in place, I think your best bet is to get Unity synced with Exchange 2003 again.  However, the Partner Server determination factors are:

Determining the Partner Exchange Server for Cisco Unity 7.0 and/or 5.0

Revised May 28, 2010

During Cisco Unity installation, you will be prompted to select an Exchange server for Cisco Unity 7.0 or 5.0 to connect with. The server is known as the partner Exchange server, or the partner server. You determine now which server you will use as the partner server, based on the following information:

When all Cisco Unity subscriber mailboxes will be homed on the same Exchange server, use that server as the partner server.

When Cisco Unity subscriber mailboxes will be homed on more than one Exchange server, consider the following general guidelines for deciding which server to use as the partner server:

All voice messages from outside callers pass through the partner server on their way to user mailboxes. Use an Exchange server based on its ability to handle the additional traffic.

When an Exchange 2007 cluster is configured, use either an Exchange server outside the cluster or a cluster mailserver. When an Exchange 2010 DAG (Database Availability Group) is configured, use either an Exchange server outside the DAG, or a mailbox database within the DAG. (When you run the Message Store Configuration wizard later in the installation, the wizard lists only these Exchange servers.)

When Cisco Unity subscriber mailboxes will be homed in Exchange 2010 as well as in Exchange 2007 and/or Exchange 2003, choose a partner server based on the considerations already mentioned, as well as the roles installed on the server and ease of access to Exchange 2010 servers, based on the following considerations:

To be used as the partner Exchange server, an Exchange 2010 server must have the Mailbox server role installed.

If you choose an Exchange 2010 server, when you run the Cisco Unity Message Store Configuration wizard during the installation process, the wizard creates scripts that must be run either on the partner Exchange 2010 server or on another Exchange 2010 server on which Exchange Management Shell is installed. (The scripts create Exchange mailboxes that Cisco Unity cannot create directly in Exchange 2010.) By default, scripts cannot be run remotely, so you may need to be at an Exchange 2010 server to run them. If physical access to the Exchange servers is restricted, you can choose an Exchange 2003 server as the partner Exchange server, and Cisco Unity can create the accounts automatically.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

David,

Thanks for the reply.  I re-ran the permissions wizard and the unity configuration assistant.  Everything completed with no errors.  Now I have all the user mailboxes on the Exchange 2010 server and all the Unity mailboxes on the Exchange 2003 server.  I have chosen the Exchange 2003 server as the partner server.  Now when I leave a VM for someone, they receive the voicemail in their e-mail, but the voicemail is being stored locally on the Unity server and their MWI light is not coming on.  When they check thier voicemail on the phone, it says the message store is not available at this time.  When checking the application log files on the unity server, I see a lot of MAPI errors saying it can't communicate with the message store on the exchange server.  I thought it was possible to use the 2003 server as the partner exchange server but have all the mailboxes on the 2010 server but it doesn't seem to be working.  Any ideas?

3 things:

1) You should get a TAC case going, if you haven't already.

2) For Unity 5x, ES83 was replaced by ES85 (which was yanked off the download site almost like a ghost in the night) and now there is ES86.  You may want to read up on what is fixed here in this ES.

3) I think you may have your service account mailboxes homed in the wrong place.  If you note there, is a section for where to put the mailbox for the UnityMsgStoreSvc.  Excerpts I'm looking at are:

Adding One or More Exchange 2010 Servers to an Existing Cisco Unity 7.0 and/or 5.0 Installation

Step 14 On the Cisco Unity server, install ExchangeMapiCdo.exe, which you downloaded in Step 4.

Step 15 On the Cisco Unity server, install the version of the Permissions wizard that you downloaded in Step 2.

Step 16 Run the Permissions wizard, and select the Exchange 2010 message stores in which mailboxes for Cisco Unity subscribers will be homed.

Step 17 At the end of the Permissions wizard, on the You Have Completed the Cisco Unity Permissions Wizard page, click Granting Microsoft Exchange Administrator Rights, and do the procedure in the Help file to add the installation and directory services accounts to the Exchange 2010 Organization Management role group.

Step 18 Restart the Cisco Unity server.

Step 19 Move or create a mailbox for the Cisco Unity message store services account (typically UnityMsgStoreSvc), as applicable:

Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007
mailbox already exists

Move the mailbox for the account to Exchange 2010.

No mailbox

Create a mailbox for the account in Exchange 2010.

Step 20 Remove the Exchange 2010 RPC limit for the message store services account by creating and applying a new mailbox policy to the message store services account:

a. Open an Exchange 2010 Management Shell window.

b. Create a new policy with unlimited RPC connections, for example:

new-throttlingpolicy -name "Unity Exchange 2010 Policy" -RCAMaxConcurrency $null

c. Apply the new policy to the message store services account, for example:

set-mailbox -identity "UnityMsgStoreSvc" -throttlingpolicy "Unity Exchange 2010 Policy"

d. Confirm that the mailbox is using the new policy, for example:

get-mailbox -identity "UnityMsgStoreSvc" | fl | findstr "Throttling Policy"

e. If you have more than one Cisco Unity server: Repeat Step c and Step d for every message store services account in the forest.

We recommend that you apply the policy to all message store service accounts, even the accounts for Cisco Unity servers for which you do not currently intend to home subscriber mailboxes in Exchange 2010 message stores. Applying the policy does not affect Cisco Unity performance, and it ensures that you will not encounter problems if you later move mailboxes to an Exchange 2010 server.

f. On each Exchange 2010 server with the CAS role, restart the Microsoft Exchange RPC Client Access service.

Personally, I would make sure you have all of these items down to a tee because, IMO, there is likely something that went astray in the install/backout/fix process.

Hailely

Hi David,

Thanks for all your useful posts. I have a Unity question for you.

We have a Unity 5.01 running for 4 years. The plan is to replace it with Unity Connection this summer. It stops taking calls twice in the past two weeks,  so we have to fix the issue before the replacement happens.

Environment:

Unity 5.01 with voicemail (no Unified Messaging)

Partner Exchange server: Exchange 2003

Mail store: the same partner Exchange 2003 server

Email Server: Exchange 2010, no integration with Unity

Current Issue:

The Unity server stops taking calls. When calling AA number or VM pilot, the call just rings forever. Checking Unity and partner Exchange don't see any problem with memory, CPU or hard drive or any error messages in the Event Viewer. We have to reboot Unity and Exchange server to fix the issue for the time being.

We opened a TAC case for this and was asked to patch the Unity server to the supported confuguration because the Exchange 2010 is installed. The procedure provided is exactly the same as your last post.  We are asked to perform all 20 steps above. But I still have concerns after double checking the procedure.

My questions:

1) Can we continue using Exchange 2003 as partner server and mailstore after Exchange 2010 is installed in the same domain?

2) If answer is yes, do I need to perform setp 14, 16, 17, 19 and 20 in your post above? Since we don't use Exchange 2010 as partner server or mailstore, why do I need to do these steps all related to Exchange 2010?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Michael,

Couple of upfront questions:

You mentioned that the existing Unity system is not UM.  Is it installed in a traditional voicemail only fashion where it is a standalone AD/Exchange environment (e.g., isolated Unity / AD / Exchange)?

What version of CUCM is the system integrated with?

Hailey

Hey David, would you still happen to have a copy of the ES85 or higher patches for Unity 5.0.1? I think the latest ever released was ES89. I need it for one of my clients integrating with Exchange 2010! If so, please let me know. Thanks!

Hey Charles, would you still happen to have a copy of the ES85 or higher patches for Unity 5.0.1? I need it for one of my clients! If so, please let me know. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: