Different server, different syslog facility?

Answered Question
Jun 15th, 2010

The unix team is starting to build a new centralized log server.  They want to change all the Cisco logs to use local6.  Thats ok, BUT, there is another group that I also send logs to that use the standard local7 on their log server.  So, is there a way I can send logs using local6 to x.x.x.x,  and use local7 for y.y.y.y, or is it an all or nothing situation?

Thanks

Poirot

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by rmeans about 6 years 5 months ago

Have you considered using syslog-ng?  You will not be limited by facility.  Within the syslog-ng.conf file you can define which logs go where.  For example, I have a number of firewalls, routers and switches.  I log my firewalls to separate files, all routers to one file and all switches to one file.  The syslog-ng.conf file looks at the source IP address or domain name and determines where to put the log (the file name).

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
rmeans Fri, 06/18/2010 - 13:29

Have you considered using syslog-ng?  You will not be limited by facility.  Within the syslog-ng.conf file you can define which logs go where.  For example, I have a number of firewalls, routers and switches.  I log my firewalls to separate files, all routers to one file and all switches to one file.  The syslog-ng.conf file looks at the source IP address or domain name and determines where to put the log (the file name).

poirot1967 Tue, 06/22/2010 - 06:49

Thanks for the answer.  Thats exactly what we will be doing.

Poirot

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content