cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys we got a piece of work from customer in which they want redundancy on WAN and LAN.....We are proposing to have  two WAN redundant routers which will be connected to  3750 switch.....there will be some servers connected to the new switch.......in WAN i have decided to run BGP and IBGP between two routers and on LAN what should i do so that if one router goes down the traffic diverts to the other.....shd i use HSRP i have never used it is it a good option if yes how we i will config it any idea......i need some expert advise.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

That should work. If you run eBGP with each of your providers plus iBGP and HSRP between each of the two routers then that should protect against WAN failure scenarios.

-Ben

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HSRP is often used as the first-hop redundancy protocol of choice. There are others such as VRRP and GLBP.

VRRP has the advantage that can be configured on any vendor device, not just Cisco.

GLBP provides packet balancing, in other words, not all packets are handled by the Active router.

For more information on HSRP and how to configure it, please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_hsrp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Regards,

Edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card