My question is regarding CUCME and CUE and getting the correct time to display on the phones, for voicemail timestamps, and the CME system time.
I've done a number of CME/CUE installs and it seems that this is always an issue, albiet one that I can usually get working.
Is there an in depth article that anyone is aware of that explains how ntp/system time works between a CME router, CUE, and the ip phones?
I have found different solutions but it's always trial and error and I'd like to know if I'm just missing something.
For instance, the system I'm working on now I had to configure an external NTP server and two different tries for phone firmware, and set the timezone under telephony-service on the CME router.
Other times when an external NTP server is not available I could set the CME router as the NTP master. This has worked sometimes, and sometimes not.
I don't want to analyze each instance, but get a better understanding of what's going on in the ios that makes getting the correct time so difficult
Thanks, and I apologize if this sounds like a rant.
1. Configure TZ and Summer-time (if necessary) on your CME router
2. Configure NTP (maybe NTP Server as preference 1, Local NTP Server as preference 2 with higher stratum)
3. Configure 'time-zone' command under telephony-service, and 'time-format', 'date-format' if necessary,
4. Must define phone type under each ephone (like 'type 7961' or 'type CIPC' etc),
5. While initializing CUE it will ask for NTP server, configure it properly.