Need help with seeing an alarm/event history for an AP

Answered Question
Jun 15th, 2010

I need help with seeing a past alarm that occurred around two months ago, here is the background information:

I had a Cisco 1524 AP go down at a location around the week of April 15th.  This AP is at a very remote location and is very rarely used so I did not get around to examining the problem until about a month later.  It turns out the Cat5 cable was damaged in an act of vandalism and the AP came back up after I fixed the cable issue.

An investigation is now taking place and I would like to be able to tell the detective the exact moment the AP was first reported down to the WCS.  I know the alarm was there at one time I just never took the time to record the date and time.

When I go to alarms it does not go back far enough to view when this happened.  Is this information stored anywhere so I can pull a report and see the date and time the AP went down?  I have searched and searched the report launch pad but I cannot for the life of me find this information.

I have WCS version 6.0.132.0.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Bucky

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by leejohns about 6 years 7 months ago

Bucky,

The WCS logs do have a finite number of alarms they can store. If the event is no longer listed, then it was aged out and there is no way to recover that alarm message to see exactly when it was generated.

Sorry...

Lee

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
leejohns Tue, 06/15/2010 - 12:45

Bucky,

The WCS logs do have a finite number of alarms they can store. If the event is no longer listed, then it was aged out and there is no way to recover that alarm message to see exactly when it was generated.

Sorry...

Lee

buckyhasty Tue, 06/15/2010 - 12:52

Thank you Lee!  I have it emailing me now on every critical alarm as to keep track of things like this.  Guess I will just have to ballpark the day it went down.

Thanks again,

Bucky

Elliott Shawd Fri, 06/18/2010 - 22:38

You could also check the switch port the AP was connected to on the switch or a snmp trap receiver if you've got one to see when the port went notconnect status.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network