cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 Multicast routing between two 2811 routers?

miuchiwong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to configure 2 cisco routers with IPv6

multicast routing. I read all the cisco documents on the web, but I just couldn't them to work. The network is very simple. I have an ethernet host 1 connect to router 1 and ethernet host 2 connect on router 2. Router 1 and 2 are interconnect thru hub. My main problem is the multicast packet does not go across the two routers. Can someone post configuration setting that I have to do? I did follow the Cisco website on IPv6, but I haven't gotten any luck yet.

Any help or suggestion is welcome.

Thank you very much.

1 Reply 1

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

With IPv6 Multicast, There are three options to configure multicast:

1- Static RP mapping.

2- Boot strap.

3- Embedded RP.

let us assume taking the (Static RP) option,  we will designate one router as your RP, and do the configuration. all what you have to do is:

1- All the routers must be enabled for IPv6 Multicast-routing.

2- All routers must have Static RP configured including the actual RP.

The beauty about IPv6 multicast, that it will immediately enable MLD (Multicast listener discovery) protocol and Pim on all interfaces once the IPv6 multicast-routing configured.

Try to simulate this , Joing one of the ethernet segment to any group and try ping it from the RP itself, you should be good to go.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card