Views
Helpful
Replies

IP ARP Inspection error in Windows 7

jayshihlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We have ip arp inspection and dhcp snooping enable in couple of 3750 and 3560 switches.  Everything works fine, excepted few case that DAI packet rate trigger and errdisable the port.  Later on we found out that most of computer that trigger DAI is Windows 7 and especially when they are in sleep mode.  Not sure if anyone experiencing it with Windows 7.  Also we have it rate limit at 64.

Thanks,

=D=

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can't be sure but I imagine the Windows 7 machine is refreshing its arp cache all at once, then causing ARP inspection rate-limiter to hit.  Now the rate-limiter is set to 64, but there is a bit of a catch.  The 3750 family may delay the processing of these, which causes more to come in and then all burst to the CPU at the same time...described in CSCse06827.

You could span the port to see if this is the case...but I can't think of another explianation for it.  Try bumping up the burst interval on the rate-limiter and see if that helps out.

Example:

3750(config-if)#ip arp inspection limit 64 3

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can't be sure but I imagine the Windows 7 machine is refreshing its arp cache all at once, then causing ARP inspection rate-limiter to hit.  Now the rate-limiter is set to 64, but there is a bit of a catch.  The 3750 family may delay the processing of these, which causes more to come in and then all burst to the CPU at the same time...described in CSCse06827.

You could span the port to see if this is the case...but I can't think of another explianation for it.  Try bumping up the burst interval on the rate-limiter and see if that helps out.

Example:

3750(config-if)#ip arp inspection limit 64 3

sometimes IPv6 can cause the blocking

Good afternoon, 

Could you please elaborate more on what burst interval means? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card