Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS SNMP trap receiving

f.donninelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I setup all devices to send SNMP TRAP to LMS; there is a way to check that LMS is receiving them? I mean, I know that traps should appear in DFM Alert and Activities display, but an alert can appear here also because DFM is discovering the fault with normal SNMP polling, not because he received a trap.

In the device center only the number of syslog messages is reported, no traps. There is a way to see how many traps were received? Even looking in some files on the server, I only need to be sure that traps are arriving.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there is no way to see the traps coming into LMS.  However, while DFM does receive them, it does not process all traps.  Some traps are processed, some are passed through to the DFM Alerts and Acitivites Display, and the rest are dropped.  See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.2/user/guide/TrapFwd.html for a list of the processed and passed through traps.

Because the ciscoConfigManEvent trap is passed through, you could verify that DFM is receiving traps by making a config change, and checking AAD to see if an InformAlarm shows up for the device.

NICOLAS GUY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can perhaps try to decrease a threshol on an equipment to force a trap to be generated. You can then view in LMS how it's taken in account (topology, mail alert, ...)

My example : I've decrease the warning temperature threshold in a 3750 stack under the current temperature value and I have immediatly received an email from LMS.

hope this help

These are not SNMP traps, though.  DFM does SNMP polling to produce its events.  Yes, you can configure DFM thresholds to produce events that make more sense for your network.  But if you need to view unsolicited traps from the devices, you will need to use another application to display those traps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco